SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Let's talk about slings... Savvy Sniper
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's talk about slings... Savvy Sniper Login/Join 
posted
Was looking into getting a Magpul MS 3 or 4, gen 1 or 2, convertible 1 - 2 point sling.
https://magpul.com/firearm-acc...s/slings/slings.html

Then comes the Savvy Sniper. Still convertible, but adds a strap loop for quick loosening/tightening and bungee .
Comes with plastic hardware/clip for 89 or with metal hardware and a 'cobra clip' for 129. Lifetime warranty.
https://savvysniper.com/slings

Was thinking about the buy once, cry once.... but the thought of metal 'scratching' the firearm has me thinking plastic.

Is this sling worth the extra money or should I get a Magpul or ?
(Want to stay with a convertible type)

Vickers, Blue Force comes up a lot...
https://www.blueforcegear.com/...ns-sling-2-to-1.html

Would be for AR use.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 point slings just work.

1 point slings slings are fine....until the rifle smacks the family jewels. Not if, when.

If you're concerned about scratching up a rifle with sling hardware, it's best that you never take the rifle out of the safe. Shrink wrap it, then encase it in bubble wrap. Probably best not to open the safe again, too.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

If you're concerned about scratching up a rifle with sling hardware, it's best that you never take the rifle out of the safe. Shrink wrap it, then encase it in bubble wrap. Probably best not to open the safe again, too.

Big Grin

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
The Blue Force Vickers standard 2 point is great, that would be the one I’d get in your desired style.

I stick with non-padded 2 points, either the Vickers or more recently, the Edgar Sherman Design.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8342 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Then comes the Savvy Sniper. Still convertible, but adds a strap loop for quick loosening/tightening and bungee .
Comes with plastic hardware/clip for 89 or with metal hardware and a 'cobra clip' for 129. Lifetime warranty.
https://savvysniper.com/slings

Was thinking about the buy once, cry once.... but the thought of metal 'scratching' the firearm has me thinking plastic.

Is this sling worth the extra money or should I get a Magpul or ?
I have a Savvy Sniper QUAD dual QD MS. The QD connectors are metal. I have the Nexus Fastex disconnect (plastic).

The sling just plain rocks. Quick and easy to adjust, and to transition between dual- and single-point.

I never tried anything else against which to compare it, but I feel it worth every penny I paid for it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a pile of 2 point AR slings. Don't care if any of them scratch my rifles, handgaurd...Big Grin

Fero Concepts, Vickers, Magpul and a CP Rifle.

The CP Rifle is the one I'll buy again. 2nd choice the Fero Concepts.

https://www.cprifle.com/accessories/cprifle-sling

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
No complaints from my padded Vickers

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Ferro Concepts, top choice. Easiest quick adjustment I've found. One handed tighten/loosen is extraordinarily easy.

Haley Strategic, second choice. Very well thought out and convertible to 1-point, but the quick adjust is not as easy one handed as the Ferro Concepts.

Vickers, third choice. Ole reliable, but harder to adjust and far bulkier than either the Ferro Concepts or Haley.

I suspect GBRS Group's new sling is also quite good, but it looks very much like the Haley

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have all three.
All three are solid, quality slings and work well. I understand the "buy once, cry once" concept, however- sometimes the middle of the road ones work just as good, if not better!

The Savvy is nice, but slightly more expensive. The large loop makes it easy to adjust, but depending on where (environment) you're using it, it sometimes gets caught up on stuff.

The Magpul is on my work gun, and has been holding up extremely well over the past 10 years or so... A little hard to do the quick adjust with the buckle at times, but it's still comfortable.

The Vickers is simple and no nonsense. It just works!

The next AR, it's going to be a Vickers.

I'm looking at the Haley Strategic G3 sling, I just don't know if I feel like spending $100 on a sling. It's got a pad on it, great!!! I don't think it's a $70 pad though.

2 point is the way to go. 1 point, it always hits your knees and nuts. If you're worried about the gun getting scratched up a little, then as said before- make it a safe queen. If you use (or USE) your gear, it's going to get scratched up and dinged a little. I'm not saying to intentionally slide it across a busy highway and see how many times it gets run over, but if you use your gear, it's going to show some wear.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
If I did it again, I might consider a non padded Vickers, just for the bit less bulk.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use IDF Rifle slings.
They work great.

Posts: 366 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I have Vickers and Magpul.
Whatever you decide to get you may consider a sling keeper as well.
I just got a couple of the Vickers ones in.
Definitely worth the $7.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john crusher:
I use IDF Rifle slings.
They work great.

In like fashion (inexpensive but very functional) but without the sewn in attachment hardware is the STI 2 point sling.
https://stirifleslings.com/
https://www.amazon.com/STI-Mil...juster/dp/B00JK1XW4G

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Define the use.

Precision long distance firing with a free float, sling.
MP's on street patrol - maybe. Detentions and search.
Road patrol in vehicles, not so much. Hangs up in vehicles.
Patrol on foot overland, no. Hangs up on anything including gear.
Patrol inside buildings or on shipboard, never. Snag master.

Me, Infantry MP, no sling. Me hunting, no sling. Me, zeroing a non free float, no sling. Me shooting .22 International in High School, sling every Tues/Thurs for two hours.

Slings have their place - and they also have no place in many circumstances. Fit it to the task, not the infomercial selling them.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Knezz
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Ferro Concepts Slingster. Appears quick, easy and versatile. Slingster

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." *Gen. W. Thornson*

Posts: 3053 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a savvy sniper that I think is amazing, I still super easy to adjust and can take it from 2 point to one point if needed super easy.

%100. Savvy sniper is amazing,

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8846 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
2 point sling fan here.
When I was policing I tried the single point and then it happened, I got smacked in the jewels while climbing a fence.
When I was in the service we used the sling for prone, and to carry the rifle around. Always have the sling around you, as dropping a rifle whilst on the big blue ocean leads to a loooootttt of paperwork.

I don’t police anymore and just couldn’t bring myself to shelll out big bucks for a vickers sling, when I was only allowed to get the rifle out u deer certain specific conditions. The old olive drab military sling works for my occasional target shooting on a know distance range.

If I were playing PRS or other rifle shooting games I’d go with the Vickers.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post