SIGforum
1974 Anschutz 54 Match

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/9250056125

August 03, 2026, 01:06 PM
got2hav1
1974 Anschutz 54 Match
I picked this 50 year old Anschutz up today. Bluing is great, excellent sights and trigger. The stock is a later model from around mid to late 90s. I will eventually mount a nice scope on it but very much looking forward to shooting with the peep sights. Just something about shooting a single feed Anschutz rimfire that I really love.










JEREMIAH 33:3
August 03, 2026, 04:24 PM
armored
Very nice!!!!!
August 03, 2026, 04:39 PM
lyman
lovely rifles!!



https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/
August 06, 2026, 03:47 PM
got2hav1
I got a chance to shoot the Anschutz today. Our local targets for this month are shot at 25 yards but you have to use non match ammo and shoot 10 rounds. I shot the first target at 25 yards with Tac-22 ammo. It shot really well, so just for kicks I moved the target to 50 yards and shot again. Single feed Anschutz's are just a joy to shoot. Trigger is amazing, breaking at 3.5 ounces.







JEREMIAH 33:3
August 06, 2026, 04:54 PM
RichardC
Lovely rifle, congratulations!

Does CCI standard velocity .22 Rf qualify as non-match ammunition at your club match?
August 06, 2026, 05:13 PM
got2hav1
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Lovely rifle, congratulations!

Does CCI standard velocity .22 Rf qualify as non-match ammunition at your club match?


Yes, we used a $8/box limit. I shot a couple of targets with CCI SV but it wasn't quite as good as the Tac 22.


JEREMIAH 33:3
August 06, 2026, 06:57 PM
sigfreund
Wow! Thanks for the range report.




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
September 02, 2026, 10:44 AM
10X-Shooter
We used to shoot those and 1913’s on my college rifle team. Traveled all over shooting 3 position small bore and air rifle tournaments. Won the Bass Pro Shop Invitational every year we competed. Let me encourage you to find some of the targets for that and shoot the 33 ft in all three positions. You’ll need a sling for the kneeling and prone positions but it is challenging and who knows, maybe you’ll decide to enter some competitions. I still can’t believe I was paid to shoot for those four years. It was an exceptional time of my life.
September 02, 2026, 11:49 AM
got2hav1
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
We used to shoot those and 1913’s on my college rifle team. Traveled all over shooting 3 position small bore and air rifle tournaments. Won the Bass Pro Shop Invitational every year we competed. Let me encourage you to find some of the targets for that and shoot the 33 ft in all three positions. You’ll need a sling for the kneeling and prone positions but it is challenging and who knows, maybe you’ll decide to enter some competitions. I still can’t believe I was paid to shoot for those four years. It was an exceptional time of my life.


Thanks for posting 10X. I'm to old and stiff for that kind of shooting but I can only imagine how much fun you had shooting the Annie. I shot it yesterday again in our local monthly target. What a rifle.


JEREMIAH 33:3
September 02, 2026, 11:58 AM
ibanda
Trigger break at 3.5 ounces? Holy cow I didn't know anything under 2.5 lbs was a thing. I guess competition bolt gun setup only.




"The left can't applaud me because their hands are in other people's pockets." - Javier Milei
September 02, 2026, 01:19 PM
got2hav1
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ibanda:
Trigger break at 3.5 ounces? Holy cow I didn't know anything under 2.5 lbs was a thing. I guess competition bolt gun setup only.[/QUOTE

Yes, benchrest competitions only. Not sure if it is a true two stage or not but there is considerable slack to take up before you get to the wall and then a clean crisp trigger break. Wonderful trigger.


JEREMIAH 33:3
September 02, 2026, 01:22 PM
cslinger
quote:
Single feed Anschutz's are just a joy to shoot. Trigger is amazing, breaking at 3.5 ounces.


Yes they are. This is also why I so love good quality air rifles as well. Single shot, great triggers, very accurate and just a sort of slowed down vibe. In todays hyper fast world I appreciate the slow methodical approach to guns like these.


Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
September 02, 2026, 01:42 PM
got2hav1
So I believe this gun has the 5018 Anschutz trigger and it is a two stage trigger, but it can be adjusted to a single stage. But I love it just the way it is, so not going to fiddle with it. I have another Anschutz 1712 with the same trigger and it is also superb.


JEREMIAH 33:3
September 02, 2026, 01:43 PM
armored
I have a Savage Striker handgun in .22lr that has a 4oz. trigger that I bought years ago from a jeweler out west that made triggers, I can't remember his name.
No safety so great caution is required, but how sweet that trigger is.
September 02, 2026, 06:54 PM
jaybirdaccountant
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
Trigger break at 3.5 ounces? Holy cow I didn't know anything under 2.5 lbs was a thing. I guess competition bolt gun setup only.


I had a Remington 40X with the factory 2 ounce trigger option. It was suitable for benchrest shooting only and I swear you could almost breath on it and set it off.
September 02, 2026, 09:42 PM
fritz
quote:
Originally posted by got2hav1:
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
Trigger break at 3.5 ounces? Holy cow I didn't know anything under 2.5 lbs was a thing. I guess competition bolt gun setup only.

Yes, benchrest competitions only. Not sure if it is a true two stage or not but there is considerable slack to take up before you get to the wall and then a clean crisp trigger break. Wonderful trigger.

Benchrest rifles are set up much differently than rifles that are carried -- like hunting or shoot-n-move competition.

Individual and team matches run by Competition Dynamics (the same guy that owns ThunderBeast suppressors) require a trigger test before you're allowed on the range. They drop your cocked and unloaded rifle from a height of about 18" onto a rubber pad, landing on the end of the buttstock, barrel pointed straight up. If the action fires, you're DQ'd. This occurs regularly with triggers with pull weights of 2 pounds or less, sometimes even at 2.5 to 3 pounds. Jewel triggers generally don't like such a test, even with higher pull weights. TriggerTech does fine. Once you've been around a few NDs in matches, most competitors are fine with such rules. IMO the drop test should be done in pretty much every PRS and precision steel match.

The drop test is sometimes done in ELR field matches. I really, really believe it should be mandatory here. 7mm & 30-cal magnums, capable of great accuracy at a mile. Sometimes substantial hiking between stages, sometimes positional movement within a stage, sometime stages that are surprising close to each other.
September 02, 2026, 09:56 PM
fritz
BTW, that's a nice Annie. Elegant rifle. A positional shooting machine. The modern tinker-toy-style equivalents just don't have the same soul.
September 03, 2026, 07:12 AM
got2hav1
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
BTW, that's a nice Annie. Elegant rifle. A positional shooting machine. The modern tinker-toy-style equivalents just don't have the same soul.


Totally agree. Big Grin


JEREMIAH 33:3