SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    When do you like a fixed 3 power optic?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When do you like a fixed 3 power optic? Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
When I got started in hunting a bolt action with 3x9 variable was the hot ticket - and pricey for an entry level shooter. I eventually got one and the scope worked ok for field use. The money paid for it to zoom to 9x was largely wasted on range trips - where I hunt a 250 yard shot is rare, even exceptional. It takes open fields to accomplish and during rut with leaf fall deer tend to move into thicker areas to remain out of sight. They don't behave the same in November as they do feeding alongside the road in June.

Using the 3x primarily worked but it did present a lot of fur and when they won't stop you have to discern which end you are aiming at, especially closer up. Having moved into optics using a 1st Gen Aimpoint the ability to see the game was different - my choice is no magnification, or only 2x. And that has a lot to do with aging eyes, but now corrected with new lenses aka cataract surgery. Im about 20-25 now with no eyeglasses to get in the way.

I bought a 2X fixed for the next rifle, with illuminated dot. It's not small, but it's no heavier than a normal scope, uses a common battery and is simple as KISS. It has unlimited eye relief and I can mount it as far forward as I like to control how much it occludes the target. The overall profile of an optic and it's eye relief need to work for the shooter, not against him, and that can influence a shot almost as much as what power to use.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Does anyone else have a comment?

(I posted primarily because am tired of seeing the former member's name every time I open this section of the forum, but I agree that 3× is both too much and not enough if there is any other reasonable option such as a low power variable.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in the LPVO camp, 1x10 or 1X6 vs fixed 3 power.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would NEVER use a fixed 3x optic when so many excellent Variable 1x to 4x,6x,8x and even 10x optics are available.

Why would you limit yourself for any reason other than you already own a 3x and can't afford a better optic?

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Does anyone else have a comment?

(I posted primarily because am tired of seeing the former member's name every time I open this section of the forum, but I agree that 3× is both too much and not enough if there is any other reasonable option such as a low power variable.)

I've been on my Honeymoon, did I miss a flameout?

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was never really into the whole optic game until I re-enlisted in the Army after my 17 year break.

During bootcamp (the 2nd time) I was introduced to the M68, and I have been investigating/researching them ever since.

I never bought one because I got the bug for shooting with iron sights. I actually became pretty decent at it. Now I cannot hit squat at 150 meters, but let me at the 300 meters shooting prone unsupported. Its amazing what the correct pair of glasses can do along with a little practice.

When I arrived in AFG, I was supposed to get a Aimpoint Comp4 or a Trijicon but they were all out. So... I ordered a Meopta MRAD3.

Wouldn't you know it... As soon as my Meopta arrived, I was issued a new Aimpoint.

After testing both of them out, I fell in love with the Aimpoint CompM4.

Since returning from AFG, I have used Trijicon, EOTechs, Meopta, etc..

I would like to try the MRO or the Comp M5, but to me the CompM4 can and will do everything I would need it for.

The only problem is that they have gotten ridiculously expensive.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The MRO is a very nice optic. I have had it on my work rifle pretty much since their inception and hasn’t missed a beat.
I am working on a replacement work rifle and it will swap over to that. Only thing I am going to
change is the mount.
Since I got the MRO right at release there were very few mount options and went with the SLR Rifleworks which I don’t think is made anymore.

I have since been introduced to Kinetic Development mounts and am going to swap to it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two set ups:
1) Aimpoint Comp M4 w SIG Juliet 4X Magnifier
2) Trijicon ACOG 3.5X

Jurys out which is better although in my service the Aimpoint/SIG combo is proven. Though I really like the Trij 3.5X

Posts: 51 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black92LX

I have never heard of Kinetic Development Mounts.
So, I looked them up.

I learned something new today..

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
Black92LX

I have never heard of Kinetic Development Mounts.
So, I looked them up.

I learned something new today..

Nor had I until I bought a Steiner MRS which has no footprint just a rail mount. I needed a riser mount for an AR.
Turns out there are very few quality small pic riser mounts. I came across Kinetic Development in that search.

Yes, the optic is mounted backwards. I did not realize the KD mount is directional when I first mounted the optic and took the pic.

I was very impressed with how solid the mount was it caused me to buy a 2nd and a 2nd MRS.
A MRO mount will be headed my way soon.
They have some really slick MLOK rail sections as well.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rereading all of this as I finally got a chance to zero the AR with a friend yesterday.
Do I like my fixed 3x optic? Yes and once I got it zeroed, I had no problems putting rounds where I wanted to.
3x for a home defense AR? I'd be inclined to say no even though the recticle can be illuminated. Etched black reticle with the power off.
What's the use of my ARs? Mainly just range shooting as I have the shotgun for home defense. SHTF use? Absolutely.
1 AR now has a zero magnification optic on it and the other has a 3x fixed. Both Vortex optics. The AR pistol has the EoTech on it which is by far my favorite type of optic.
Things can change and maybe I'll end up with all EoTech at some point.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post