SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My Remington 700 Build
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Remington 700 Build Login/Join 
Picture of caneau
posted
Never having owned a centerfire bolt action before I decided to take the plunge and get a Remington 700. Found a 5R stainless model and decided to make it my own. First of all, I'm surprised how easy they are to work on. Compared with building 1911s or even assembling an AR this was relatively easy.

Here's the build spec:
- Remington 700 Short Action with a 5R 20" barrel
- Timney trigger set at about 2 lbs.
- Weaver rail
- Harris bipod (probably went a bit too long with the 9-13")
- Custom stock with a free floated barrel
- Wyatt detachable box magazine system

Everything went together pretty easily except needing to inlet the stock for the magazine system. Still need to install some optics but so far I'm liking the setup. The trigger is fantastic and the stock is really comfortable.

Anything I should know about these guns?

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Thatsa nice!!

Hope you reload.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Looks great, I bet that's a shooter.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
She sure is purty. You definitely have something there!

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looks good, I like the stainless over blue look.
Caliber?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Looks good, I like the stainless over blue look.
Caliber?

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the color combination of the SS barrel and the blue laminated stock.

What magazines does the Wyatt DBM use?

The bipod may be a little tall for shooting from a bench, but it will be nice for shooting from prone on variable terrain. I can't tell if the Harris has a Pod Loc lever for the swivel action. If it doesn't, get one ASAP. If you shoot from from the hard & smooth surface of a bench rest, you may find it takes a lot a practice to eliminate bipod hop during the recoil cycle.

Do you reload or use factory ammo?

What is you primary intended type of shooting? Assuming this is a target rifle -- will you be shooting at paper or steel targets? What distances to targets? Will you be shooting and moving? Will be you bounce between targets of various distances or shoot at only one target distance at a time?

What are your thoughts on optics and mount? Do you have a budget? Preferred scope brands? Preferred reticle? First or second focal plane? Is your rail parallel to the bore or does is it canted -- say 10 MOA or 20 MOA?

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post