SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Favorite 2-piece handguard for AR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite 2-piece handguard for AR Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I've got an LMT rifle with a fixed front sight, and I really don't want to mess with removing it to add a handguard. What are your favorite 2-piece drop in handguards? I currently have a Magpul something or other, but I'm looking for something else.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Troy Delta rail. Free-floating drop-in rail. Allows for a further forward grip than traditional handguards.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would help if you note what rail type you want.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends what you want/need:

For free float no cutting or moding required, I'd look a Daniels Defense Omegas.

For non free float, MAGPUL MOEs or KAC RAS (blemished). The non-blemished RAS are too expensive for what you get IMHO.

If you want to cut the handguard retaining ring, I'd look at Centurion arms. I scored one of their 2 piece carbine rails with the front sight cut out.

There are other good options out there, I only mentioned the ones that I have experience with.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
It depends what you want/need:

For free float no cutting or moding required, I'd look a Daniels Defense Omegas.

For non free float, MAGPUL MOEs or KAC RAS (blemished). The non-blemished RAS are too expensive for what you get IMHO.

If you want to cut the handguard retaining ring, I'd look at Centurion arms. I scored one of their 2 piece carbine rails with the front sight cut out.

There are other good options out there, I only mentioned the ones that I have experience with.

I agree completely. Only thing to add is to consider KAC RAS-2 if you can find one for a reasonable price. The DD omegas are nice and available in mlok, which is great.

But, to the OP - pulling the barrel and FSB is not difficult. Doing so widens your options for handguards.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2322 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:

I agree completely. Only thing to add is to consider KAC RAS-2 if you can find one for a reasonable price. The DD omegas are nice and available in mlok, which is great.

I've got a RAS 2, from back when KAC was selling them at $150 a pop. I agree that it's KAC quality and relatively easy to install. Also at the discounted price it was a better value than the normal RAS as it was freefloat in addition to all the the RAS's features. One could also make the case that the lockup on the RAS 2 is better than my normally (and highly) recommended DD Omega.

The one druther I have with it is the hump that is part of the mounting interface. IMHO it reduces the options or channelizes you toward specific mounts or optics. For example, I just purchase a RAS 2 specific mount for my aimpoint,a larue tactical LT152, because I prefer to have my RDS at the front of the upper. As always, individual milage may vary.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used lots of these. If you want rails carbine length my favorite is actually the surefire. If you want Mloc the Midwest Industries one is inexpensive and cheap. If price isn't really a concern the DD Omega one is great and you can choose rail, mloc or keymod a huge plus. The KAC has the best most proven attachment but you get rails which at this point I hate. If you want extended you need the troy afaik. I've used the troy a bunch when I have a std. barrel nut, but not the extended one. Many choices, many prices.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post