SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    5.56 AR15 springs and/or buffers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5.56 AR15 springs and/or buffers Login/Join 
posted
My query is inspired by the use of a silencer, but I want to post in the general rifle forum, as I feel there are knowledgeable members who don't check the suppressed forum regularly. As the question has implications outside the realm of suppressors, I feel it's appropriate.

I have heard alternative action springs referred to as "snake oil". However, the Tubb springs, A5 assemblies, and varying Sprinco springs all seem pretty prolific. I have been using a Sprinco Red spring for a while now and, as best I can tell, LMT uses a similar spring weight in their factory lowers.

Where buffers are concerned, they are very often referenced as a good way to fine-tune one's rifle. They can be used to take the edge off a gun that's a bit over-gassed, to enhance reliability, alter dwell time, or tweak recoil impulse.

My question is about compensating for an over-gassed condition, tweaking dwell time, and enhancing reliability. I don't much care about "shootability" and recoil impulse.

A setup of mine is over-gassed. It lacks an adjustable block, and spits brass at 1 o'clock. It has the snappy recoil to go with it, which raises parts wear concerns. This setup is suppressed, and had a Sprinco Red spring and H3 buffer. I say had because, after I recognized the undesirable performance, I swapped for a Gemtech vented carrier. The ejection was then a bit weaker than I think is ideal, so I swapped in a H buffer. It got a bit better, but still seems a bit weak.

I may next swap the H3 back in, and use a lesser-weight spring. My use of the heavier spring is motivated by the desire to counter-act the effects of silencers, and to enhance feeding reliability. People often use buffers alone, to compensate for silencer effects, but I like the idea of more spring on the feeding cycle too. A heavy buffer helps somewhat here too, but that spring is what gets everything moving so, in my mind, it's nice to have a stouter one.

In my current debacle though, with reliability being the priority, is less buffer or less spring more advisable, now that the vented carrier is in play?

I am sure I forgot some important aspect of the discussion. I'll wait for one of y'all to remind me. Thanks in advance, for the help.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In other words, if someone is combatting an over-gassed condition, is more spring or more buffer preferred, and why?

Posts: 2489 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I'd just get a BRT gas drive and be done.
Use the drop downs and select what you have or are going to use.
100% suppressed or 50/50 and type of action.
They'll send one out sized for what you select.

Posts: 1543 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The question isn't being asked just so I can solve a specific issue with a specific gun. Well, it is and it isn't. I posed the question in a general sense. That being said, I'd still like to hear any thoughts on the topic.

I got the gun in question figured out. I tried a different silencer, in hopes that it'd have a bit more back pressure and give me more confidence in the cycling force. It had less pressure. So, I threw the original action bits back in (regular FA carrier, Sprinco Red, and H3 buffer), and it ejects at 3 o'clock. A bit stouter than many consider ideal, but it gives me some leeway in filth accumulation and/or lack of lube.

I have employed a BRT tube in the past. I'd mess with them more, if they didn't cost as much. I don't think they're overpriced; I just can't afford to throw $80 at every issue similar to this one, when I likely have a combination of parts in inventory already that'll work.