SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mounting a 3X magnifier on a MCX with a Romeo 5 Red Dot help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mounting a 3X magnifier on a MCX with a Romeo 5 Red Dot help Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
Son gave me a 3X magnifier for Christmas. It is a Primary Arms Magnifier

https://www.primaryarms.com/pr...r-gen-iii-pa3xgeniii

I have the SIG Romeo 5 Red Dot Sight on the rifle now and want to pair the magnifier with it.

The Romeo 5 is currently using the supplied 1.41 co-witness raiser mount.

I am having trouble finding a correct height mount for the Primary Arms magnifier. Not able to find mounts that state 1.41 co-witness height.

I would like to find a flip to the side mount that will work. I would like it to clear the stock flip up sight when the sight is folded down if possible.

What is the proper distance between the red dot and the magnifier?

Any help and pictures deeply appreciated. My email is in profile.

Thanks

Roy

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not sure if this one will work. See description.
the Romeo 5 is a co-witness to the irons.

The Primary Arms Basic Flip to Side Magnifier Mount with Thumb Screw mount is perfect for placing a magnifier behind all standard height 30mm red dots, Micro dots, and reflex sights using a 1/3rd cowitness height.

Once your magnifier is installed in the 30mm ring, simply pulling the magnifier to the rear unlocks the mount, allowing you to instantly choose between centerline and off-centerline positions. This tough mount features a 1-year warranty.

NOTE:This mount places the center of the magnifier 1.64 inches above the top of the 1913 Picatinny rail.

The magnifier will NOT line up with raised base optics such as the 7mm extended base EOTechs!

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Smokey99
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, the iron sights are blurred when using the magnifier - check it out by mounting a magnifier and holding a pencil at the locations you wish to mount the iron sights. I had to remove my iron sights when using the magnifier (or use folding sights).

"Son, always take your paper to the woods" - my dad
NRA Endowment Life Member
3 Gun, PCC, IDPA, Bullseye Shooter

Posts: 315 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Note that even though your 3x may not be perfectly centered behind the RDS, that is OK. It wont affect POA-POI while behind the RDS.

Now for IR / NVG clip ons IN FRONT of an optic, they need to be aligned IIRC.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Note that even though your 3x may not be perfectly centered behind the RDS, that is OK. It wont affect POA-POI while behind the RDS.

Now for IR / NVG clip ons IN FRONT of an optic, they need to be aligned IIRC.

Thanks.

I have found a mount that states center line at 1.50. this is the closest to the SIG Romeo 5 that states it is 1.41.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yes, the OEM SIG Romeo 5 mount is a little low IMO.

I use a Vortex VMX-3T with Aimpoints but I haven't put it behind the Romeo 5.

In the end, all the magnifiers have adjustment screws to center the dot in the middle of the magnifier - basically centering the 3x image you are seeing of the 1x RDS sight picture.

Obviously it's nice to have 'it all line up' but with such a variety of RDS, Mount, and 3x, it often isn't perfect but has little to no effect on the targets.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch everyone