SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help ID This Somewhat Unusual Colt Carbine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help ID This Somewhat Unusual Colt Carbine Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
Any idea what model number may be associated with this Colt? Other than the unusual COLT Carbine™ rollmark, it appears to be a standard R6520 AR-15A2. My LGS obtained the rifle from a trusted, longtime customer who claims to have purchased it new at retail sometime in the mid 1990's. They assure me it is a factory variation, not a frankencarbine. Unfortunately, the original box is long gone. Thanks for looking.

•Serial number CC 0011xx
•A1 16" 1/7 barrel
•A2 Rear sight
•A2 5-slot muzzle device
•Two position stock
•Forward assist
•Brass deflector
•Large front take-down pin/screw
•Colt sear block

Posts: 3570 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I can’t answer your question, but colt is notorious for using up whatever parts they have, and for there to be countless variations of a model.
For example I have seen SP1 20” rifles with or without bayonet lugs, with open or cage flash suppressor ( not related to the vintage of the gun, meaning the open one on a gun much later than serial number would suggest it as appropriate)
They also were happy to accommodate special orders from police agencies in sufficient quantities.

The people that are really into colts can list literally hundreds of variations.

Posts: 3395 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
These "Colt Carbines" are an uncommon subvariant of the preban Model R6520, dating from the late 1980s (1988ish).

They are sometimes referred to as a R6521, though I don't believe that was ever a factory designation, rather just what some collectors have dubbed them.

The "Colt Carbine" rollmark on the lower receiver and the corresponding CC serial number are the only difference from the standard R6520 of the same time frame. Standard preban R6520s were marked "Colt AR15A2 Gov't Carbine", with a GC serial prefix.

These CCs were reportedly produced for a foreign contract, and when it fell through, were sold on the domestic market alongside the standard GC R6520s.

There were only 1616 of these "Colt Carbines" produced, compared to ~20,000 "Government Carbines". This means that some Colt collectors will pay a premium for a CC over a GC.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have that same adapter pin on an SP1 with an M16 603 upper.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34427 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
These "Colt Carbines" are an uncommon subvariant of the preban Model R6520, dating from the late 1980s (1988ish).

They are sometimes referred to as a R6521, though I don't believe that was ever a factory designation, rather just what some collectors have dubbed them.

The "Colt Carbine" rollmark on the lower receiver and the corresponding CC serial number are the only difference from the standard R6520 of the same time frame. Standard preban R6520s were marked "Colt AR15A2 Gov't Carbine", with a GC serial prefix.

These CCs were reportedly produced for a foreign contract, and when it fell through, were sold on the domestic market alongside the standard GC R6520s.

There were only 1616 of these "Colt Carbines" produced, compared to ~20,000 "Government Carbines". This means that some Colt collectors will pay a premium for a CC over a GC.

Thanks RogueJSK. This is very helpful.

Posts: 3570 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
An HOUR AND 12 MINUTES Rogue?! What, were you in the hot tub?!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2084 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post