SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Mason-Howe Rifle Room    Nosier Match grade ammo , opinions please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Nosier Match grade ammo , opinions please Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
I have a Rock River Predator 16” factory manual states 3/4” moa with match ammunition.
I’m not even attempting to ask the silly question of “will this ammo give me that thru this rifle”.
I have gotten sub moa with this rifle using Hornady 73gr eld but I have a line on a good deal (given current prices) on 300-400rds of the Nosler 223 69gr Match Grade Custom Competition and wonder if anyone here has experience with it.
* I have no experience with Nosler ammunition.






U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "



 
Posts: 7032 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Short answer -- it's not in the league of other 69 grain HPBT loads. I won't buy it again, as long as I have access to other ammo with 69 SMK bullets. I probably wouldn't buy it as long as I can shoot 55 grain plastic tip ammo, either -- like Hornady Vmax or ammo that uses Sierra's equivalent to the Vmax bullet.

The Nosler ammo is pretty -- great looking brass, bullets look uniform.

It's the slowest of all 69-grain factory ammo I've tested. Their competition bullet has a lower BC than SMK, so it requires noticeably more elevation at longer distances.

It will shoot about 1 to 1-1/2 MOA at distances to 300-400 yards in my 223 rifles. A few times I got 2 to 2-1/2 MOA WTF fliers, and the fliers weren't from my trigger pulls, or the wind. FGMM 69 shoots in the 1/2 to 3/4 MOA ballpark in my rifles -- both bolt action and AR15. I've shot Nosler ammo side by side with 69 grain FGMM, Gorilla, Federal's other 69-grain loads, Freedom Munitions, and Sierra. This was done over the course of a few months this fall and winter.

Nosler is way better than FMJ ammo, but it is a long ways from match ammo.

I see Nosler 223 ammo on ammoseek.com here and there. I think it doesn't sell out all that fast because people like me know it just isn't in the league of factory match ammo.
 
Posts: 8494 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I've loaded Nosler 223 and 6mm bullets, could not get them to shoot anywhere near a Berger or Sierra.
 
Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
And here I thought I’d get to learn which match ammo couldn’t stay out of other people’s business. Wink

Seriously, good information as usual from fritz and offgrid.




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
 
Posts: 49956 | Location: 10,160 Feet Above Sea Level in Commirado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Mason-Howe Rifle Room    Nosier Match grade ammo , opinions please

© SIGforum 2026