SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Question about determining condition of black powder
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about determining condition of black powder Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Grandson has a stash of black powder for his muzzle loader that has been stored in less than optimal conditions - heat and humidity in NC, now cold and damp in Maine.

Is there a way to check to see if it's still safe to use? It's loose flake if that matters.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
As long as the granules haven’t become dust somehow, I’d bet it’s safe. BP doesn’t deteriorate the way nitrocellulose powder does.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Unless it is thousands of dollars worth, is the risk worth it?

I'd have some fun torching it.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31428 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Question one would be... you say "black powder". Do you mean real black powder or a substitute?

There's a couple subs that I'd suggest throwing it away if it's old.
There's some subs I'd recommend throwing away if it's band new. Big Grin

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Unless it is thousands of dollars worth, is the risk worth it?

I'd have some fun torching it.

Ehh.. I'm kinda here with it. But I know nothing about BP.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Question one would be... you say "black powder". Do you mean real black powder or a substitute?

There's a couple subs that I'd suggest throwing it away if it's old.
There's some subs I'd recommend throwing away if it's band new. Big Grin

I'm assuming it's a modern substitute. I know it's intended for use in muzzle loaders.

At the moment, it's somewhere in the pile of my grandson's household goods that are taking up 2 and a half bays of my garage. When we dig it out and have more information, I'll get back to ya.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I threw away all my paradox once I discovered clean shot substitute.
Black powder I still have unopened,but it is kept in a safe manor.
Paradox select is some better at keeping.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I use real BP for my Brown Bess and my flintlock rifle. Only real BP sparks up easy.

If it’s real BP pour some out on a sheet of paper, as long as it’s no tclumped or discolored, then it will be fine. There will be small particles and larger grains in any grade of BP, don’t fret.

It should be black or a dark gray almost like graphite.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
If it is real black powder and the container was properly sealed it should be good. Look for what MikeinNC said.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post