SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Zombie lives!! SIG Model 522....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zombie lives!! SIG Model 522.... Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
I was minding my own business at the range this morning when old pal John put a lovely near-new-looking SIG522 on the bench beside me. Also a loaded magazine. And invited me to take a few shots. I guess, in his own way, he was asking if I might have any interest in buying it off him. It was just the way it came out of the box - nigh-on pristine and with the heavy all-steel barrel, rather than the plastic shrouded version.

It was quite strange to shoot a .22cal version, having shit the real thing on a number of occasions.

Going back, I recall that there were some issues over the fragile cocking lever? Anything else that might make buying it a risk? More to the point, has anybody here still got one that they use? What scope - if any - did you put on it? Lots of questions, but if you appreciated the hassle we have to go through to get our hands even a .22 semi-auto here in UK, you'd understand my reticence about dropping the hammer on it.

Posts: 11329 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have one of the very early ones and it was something to do with the c/e clip that holds the charging handle and they had to redo/replace. I sent mine in as it went bad in under 100 rounds and have had no issues since.

Likely 10-15k rounds

I also had a bunch of the Black Dog Machine magazines (who made the OE mags I am pretty sure) and they had follower issues in the first generation and they sent me all new followers at no charge even though I never had any issues with the followers I had.
Not sure if the Black Dogs are available to you over there but if memory serves correct the red followers need to be replaced with black ones.

I found a set of the 556 LPA sights and put on it but even at the lowest adjustment it shot high enough to be a pain.
I sold those and put a cheap red dot on it until I found a set of the Sig 522 sights and have used those since.

I think Samson makes/made flip up sights that worked on the 556 and 522.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25427 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I have one of the very early ones and it was something to do with the c/e clip that holds the charging handle and they had to redo/replace. I sent mine in as it went bad in under 100 rounds and have had no issues since.

Likely 10-15k rounds

I also had a bunch of the Black Dog Machine magazines (who made the OE mags I am pretty sure) and they had follower issues in the first generation and they sent me all new followers at no charge even though I never had any issues with the followers I had.
Not sure if the Black Dogs are available to you over there but if memory serves correct the red followers need to be replaced with black ones.

I found a set of the 556 LPA sights and put on it but even at the lowest adjustment it shot high enough to be a pain.
I sold those and put a cheap red dot on it until I found a set of the Sig 522 sights and have used those since.

I think Samson makes/made flip up sights that worked on the 556 and 522.

Thanks for that. The one I shot yesterday had spiffy OEM-looking iron sights and the red follower mag. And yes, they WERE made by Black Dog, and even my local gun store sells a range of BDM mags for AR and the like. There is a profusion of AR, HK, SCAR and other .22cal lookalikes here in UK - used in the mini-rifle matches that have been popular since the turn of the century. Yesterday the guy next to me had a Kriss, a Lantec and a highly tricked-out 10/22 which if he hadn't told me different, looked like an M4/HK416 mongrel.

Posts: 11329 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of mine. I have never had any problems with it. It runs reliably with any type of ammo I feed it. The red dot is a Romeo 5.I also shoot it suppressed with no problems.

Posts: 1202 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I also switched from the American collapsible folder to the Swiss folder.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25427 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My buddy and I both picked up 522's in 2010-ish, a bit after they were released. I ended up with a second one about a year later -- the model with the 20 heavy barrel.

To say we love these riffles is an understatement -- we both still have them. Super reliable, nice solid feel, and more accurate than I had expected.

I have several scopes on my 16" 522, and I just picked up a Sig Romeo 5x and will take it out for some fun this weekend. On the 20" model I've used a Leupold 12x scope and am able to reliably hit target out to 150m without trouble.

I did swap the factory stock for a machined aluminum adapter that allows the use of standard AR butt stocks -- much more rigid and locks up tight.

Cheers,
Dom

Posts: 28 | Location: PacNW | Registered: March 22, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I bought one from Donna when she was still selling. It came with both the heavy target barrel and the M4 profile barrel. I haven't shot it a lot but it has been flawless.

Posts: 12468 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Much appreciated.

Looking at his price, it seems that he is about £100 over the top - I've found a heavy barrel version locally with a nice older Nikon scope and multi-point sling unit AND six BDM mags for £340 - just under $400 - a bargain here in rip-off UK.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tacfoley,

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I picked up an early one and never had an issue, sold it to a buddy because I got the pistol version and SBR’d it … my grandkids love the SBR’d P522 as do I. At one time it was nearly identical to my SBR’d P556, but the P556 evolved further.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Frown

I've had to give it a miss, I'm afraid.

I called up the county police authority to see if they could give me some idea of the time-scale for processing a 'variation' to my Firearms Certificate to allow me to buy it.

After the usual 'we're snowed under with applications etc', and 'can't really tell you how long it might or might not take' [to check my documentation that goes back to 1968 with nary a glitch of any kind], I thanked him and told him not to bother, as I'd likely be dead by the time they got around to it.