SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Why not .270 WSM?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why not .270 WSM? Login/Join 
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
I guess what I'm asking is why the 270 WSM isn't more popular.

It didn't really offer much improvement in the field vs. existing cartridges.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't hunt a lot, but my rifle is a plain old .270 Winchester. I don't think it gives up much to the shorter, fatter, faster smaller bores until you are shooting over 300 yards. Despite our fascination with long ranges, most of will not get shots at game at those ranges, and many of us should not even take the shot if it presents itself. I put myself in that category.

And .270 Win can be bought anywhere in the U.S. they sell ammo.

.270 WSM will be great. If that is what you want, go for it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Another element of most any cartridge, especially with reloading, one can vary the pressure, loads, bullet weights & type a fair amount.

As an example, I have loaded from 55 grain Blitzkings to 100 grain partitions for use in my 243’s. Beside bullet weights & types, one has powder charge weight allowances for pressure & speed.

Of course it’s no reason to keep one from trying whatever rifle they desire.

Posts: 6161 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post