SIGforum
How unskilled shooters with poor rifles get hits when marksmen can’t.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/8870023174

November 27, 2022, 01:52 PM
NikonUser
How unskilled shooters with poor rifles get hits when marksmen can’t.
fritz, it's too bad there isn't a way to rate posts on this site, or give likes and so on. I would have given your above post a thousand likes.

It's so on-point.

As a long-time competition shooter, I can totally relate. All my shots at a target are witnessed, scored, recorded and eve commented on at times. Once you have declared for record, there are no gimmes, mulligans, and freebies. All shots count.

Shots like crossfires on the wrong target, bad gun handling, equipment surprises (shot taking off when I closed the bolt, since repeaired), shots in sudden condition switches, you name it. If the rifle goes bang, you get a score from 0 to 10 or X and it's recorded for posterity (or at least to the scoresheet.)

I am rated a Master at LR (1000 yards) which is 94 to 96.99% and High Master at MR (600 yards) (97% and above). I struggle to shoot my classification rating when the conditions are difficult.
November 28, 2022, 11:25 AM
fritz
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
As a long-time competition shooter, I can totally relate.

Yep, given the exacting standards of F-class, you of all people know the challenges.

quote:
I struggle to shoot my classification rating when the conditions are difficult.

Does that mean no "sub-MOA all day long"? But hey, you can always throw out the called flyers.....as in "That round didn't land anywhere near the last ones. Don't know why, didn't see the impact, sights didn't stay on POA -- must have been an equipment issue."
November 29, 2022, 12:59 AM
Bisleyblackhawk
This is my take on the subject…for over 40 years I was happy as a clam with a 3-4” group from my Remington 742 at 100 yards…never had over 20+ deer run more than 30-40 yards after a hit with a 150 grain Core Lock .308 (100 yards plus more or less was the norm) many years before I reloaded for accuracy and terminal results…taking that into the specs…a human torso wouldn’t be a stretch with the better equipment we have been blessed today…I know it’s close range according to some on the podcasts…but it is what it is Smile…a white tail Buck sauntering along at two miles an hour at 75-100 feet away or a piece of 18X18 piece of steel hanging motionless from a cable at 300-400 yards away…it’s all relative but I wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of either.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet
November 29, 2022, 09:14 AM
NikonUser
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
As a long-time competition shooter, I can totally relate.

Yep, given the exacting standards of F-class, you of all people know the challenges.

quote:
I struggle to shoot my classification rating when the conditions are difficult.

Does that mean no "sub-MOA all day long"? But hey, you can always throw out the called flyers.....as in "That round didn't land anywhere near the last ones. Don't know why, didn't see the impact, sights didn't stay on POA -- must have been an equipment issue."

LOL, as you well know, I can only say "I wish."
December 01, 2022, 07:27 PM
Scooter123
I have an indoor range nearby with a 25 yard handgun range and a 50 yard rifle range. I shoot on the rifle side because I do like to shoot long on occasion and the handgun side is mostly filled with idiots trying to see who can empty their gun the fastest.

So one fine Sunday morning I walked into the range to try out my brand spanking new Ruger SR1911 GVT. Decided go big or go home so I put a small orange shoot-n-c dot on the target and ran it all the way back to the 50 yard line. Picked up that 1911 and proceeded to make that dot disappear with the first shot. My curiosity was aroused so I run that target in and found that I had hit about 0.04 inch from perfect dead center in the bullseye. Should have taken that target and folded it up because I could have used it for bragging for at least a month or two. But I didn't, because I knew full well that hit was absolute 100% pure luck.

I've stopped counting.
December 10, 2022, 05:28 PM
Abn556
Someone earlier mentioned a M60. With a little training it’s easy to learn to use short bursts and walk your fire up to a target. I couldn’t tell you if the weapon was 3 MOA or 20 in relation to point of aim. I wasn’t using sights other than for rough reference. Adjust fire off impacts and tracer reference. Belt fed weapons are not made for precision shooting. They sure are fun though.

+