SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bent AR gas ring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bent AR gas ring Login/Join 
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted
Hello all.

Had my AR out this morning and had a misfire, only to discover that the bcg wouldn't budge. Get it home, finally extract the bcg only to discover that I have a bent gas ring that jammed it up.

This is the second time this has happened with this rifle. I made sure everything was well lubed before I set out this morning so I don't think it was from the rifle being dry. It is a PSA chf upper with their premium bcg.

Any thoughts? Might one of the one piece rings help? Seems that this would be an uncommon failure for a second time unless it is an issue with the bcg itself... I have a spare new bcg and may have to switch.

Posts: 11349 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Moved from lounge.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Moved from lounge.

Cripes, thanks!

Posts: 11349 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
JP Rifles has a one piece ring.

For $10 it seems worth a try.

-->ETA: The bigger question is WHY the gas rings are getting dinged in the first place. Check the inside of your bolt carrier (my "duh") to see if there is something out of order. An AR shouldn't be damaging rings. Something isn't right.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
1 piece ring at Fulton Armory
( Shipping Looks to be a killer however )

When the first ring failed did you replace all 3 or just the bent one?

Maybe just a bad lot of rings.
Anytime I replace rings I use the McFarland replacements.

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1536 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I've used a one-piece ring for years without issue. Have you looked inside the carrier to make sure it is smooth and there are no gouges? Maybe if it is chrome lined there could be some flaking?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17242 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Just got done cleaning the inside of the carrier, didn't see or feel any burrs or rough spots. Nothing seems to catch any cotton on a qtip.

Changed all three last time.

:/

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I've never seen one bend in many years of AR ownership. Something is amiss inside the carrier.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Thinking I may need to just switch to the spare bcg and get a new spare...

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Would switching for the new bcg (same model) necessitate checking headspace or should it be gtg?

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
Would switching for the new bcg (same model) necessitate checking headspace

Theoretically yes, in reality... almost no one ever does without issue. Smile

Posts: 21044 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I had a Colt do that. Changed the rings, never a problem after that.

Replace the rings, make sure you are lubricating them. See if it happens again.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

Today was round 2. Frown

posted Hide Post
My guess, the bolt is out of round. Maybe try the bolt, with new o rings, in a new carrier. Unless you got a batch of bad o rings.

Posts: 629 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

Today was round 2. Frown

Does that mean the spare BCG didn't work?

Posts: 7387 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Nopes. Haven't tried it yet.

I had replaced the gas rings on the original bolt once before. Second failure with the same bolt.

Sadly I don't get to shoot all that often and yesterday was the first time I had the AR out in a while.

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Update: I contacted Palmetto and described my issue and they offered to exchange the bcg for a new one. Good customer service experience!