SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Another successful annual hog hunt with family and friends.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another successful annual hog hunt with family and friends. Login/Join 
posted
Today was our annual hog hunt and the day did not disappoint. Todays group included my youngest son who is now 6ft 230lbs, my brother and his youngest daughter, my good friend Mike (retired Gunny) and Roy our corporate guy who made a head shot freehand about 60yds away through heavy brush.

I scouted out some area the day before putting my new Bronco to good use. Our new pup Max accompanied me on that scouting trip….lol. One hog was shot with 30/30 by my brother with a 150gr power point. He went down immediately but my brother gave him a few minutes before walking through the brush to get him with his daughter. I heard 3 quick shots. It was my brother having to use his 45 sidearm to fend off a charge from a big boar. He said my niece was scared as heck, but stayed in place as he shot. She also said the rush made her want to come back next year.

I took pig number 2 using my home built Aero Precision Lightweight with Aimpoint RDS and Aimpoint 3xC. This is my truck / home defense gun that I keep loaded with Speer Gold Dot 75gr bonded. Since this is used to defend my family and I, I wanted to see how the bullet would perform on living tissue. I picked out this guy, put the dot on his forehead from about 50yds away and pulled the trigger. He dropped in his tracks DRT. I now have full confidence in what I have loaded in this gun.

Pig number 3 was shot by Gunny and was a freaking beast. He weighed around 330lbs and had massive cutters. The picture of the 4 of us around him shows just how big the SOB was. He was dropped with a single 155gr Tap from about 60yds away. Gunny tried to look hard as a rock in the pics, but he is one of the most humble guys you could ever meet. He and I are both combat vets and joke that anybody coming into our neighborhoods during the Zombie Apocalypse would be in big trouble….lol. The Navy/Marine Corps team is strong between us.

Pig number 4 was shot by our corporate guy. He has no military time, but is a hell of a shooter. He made a offhand head shot with a 4-12 scope in heavy brush using a 62gr Hornady Tap. The pig dropped DRT. Last time out, he did the same thing on a running pig. We joke about him wearing designer suits for work, but he is good in the field.

All in all, we had a great time. We all look forward to this every year and hope we can do it for many more. Our hunting areas are getting smaller and our gun rights are being infringed upon. Please get out and enjoy this great country before our god given rights disappear.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: usncorpsman,

Posts: 1101 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Good looking hogs.

Did you fully process them, or just take specific cuts?

Towards the end of my period of frequent hog hunting, my buddies and I had gotten to the point where we'd just carve out the loins and some of the shoulders/hams, and not even bother with dressing or processing the rest. It was partly meat hunting, and partly just nuisance eradication. Plus, we'd often shoot a dozen or more hogs at a time, so nobody had the time to fully process all of them.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You boys made every shot count and got some good pork to boot. Congratulations!

Posts: 153 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Looks like there's a domesticated Piggy there too huh? Did he make friends with the pup?

Ranch I went to had one and my dogs wanted him for dinner so I got to keep them apart the whole time.

Nice shooting.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6976 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
What a great looking, successful hunt.

Congratulations.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
That "Max" looks vicious! Good thing you have him as back-up.

Also, you're getting a reputation.
I see "Hog Hunting" in the subject title, I already know who the poster is. Cool
Choot 'em all. We don't have a big hog problem up here but our deer need it too but the number of hunters keep declining.

Posts: 7361 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A great post.
I was particularly interested in the 75 grain Gold Dot and the 155 TAP.

Did you have a chance to see if any of the bullets were recovered?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
That "Max" looks vicious! Good thing you have him as back-up.

Also, you're getting a reputation.
I see "Hog Hunting" in the subject title, I already know who the poster is. Cool
Choot 'em all. We don't have a big hog problem up here but our deer need it too but the number of hunters keep declining.

Max is vicious. He’ll tear a Pupperoni apart. Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 1101 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
Looks like there's a domesticated Piggy there too huh? Did he make friends with the pup?

Ranch I went to had one and my dogs wanted him for dinner so I got to keep them apart the whole time.

Nice shooting.

Lol….that guy is Willy. He is as tame as can be and loves blueberry donuts.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
A great post.
I was particularly interested in the 75 grain Gold Dot and the 155 TAP.

Did you have a chance to see if any of the bullets were recovered?

Neither bullet was recovered bullet and there was not a complete pass through. The 155gr TAP took out the heart, lungs and made a mess of the chest cavity without damaging any meat.

The 75gr GD dropped the hog in its tracks and did not exit the scull that I could tell. When the pig was cleaned, the chest cavity was full of blood, so there is a possibility the bullet may have traveled into the chest cavity.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Good looking hogs.

Did you fully process them, or just take specific cuts?

Towards the end of my period of frequent hog hunting, my buddies and I had gotten to the point where we'd just carve out the loins and some of the shoulders/hams, and not even bother with dressing or processing the rest. It was partly meat hunting, and partly just nuisance eradication. Plus, we'd often shoot a dozen or more hogs at a time, so nobody had the time to fully process all of them.

We fully process them for pulled pork and sausages.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Congrats. We don't have hogs like that. What would an attacking hog do? Bite, kick, try to run you over. Just curious.

That black one is good size for sure.

Enjoy the eats.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always enjoy your posts, nothing better than hunting time with family and friends, congratulations on another successful hog hunt sir!

Posts: 457 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Congratulations!

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
What would an attacking hog do? Bite, kick, try to run you over.

Gore/slash you with their large tusks.

Their lower tusks grind against their upper tusks, resulting in the tusks being sharpened to a point, often with sharp edges too. When fighting, they typically try to pierce the enemy with the tusk and then rip it out, resulting in nasty gaping wounds.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usncorpsman:
Neither bullet was recovered ....

Thanks for what you were able to observe.
The 75 grain Gold Dot and 155 grain TAP are two of my “serious purposes” loads.

Boar were traditionally considered to be the most dangerous game to hunt in places like Europe, and that really is still true. “Boar spears” used for the purpose often had stout crossbars behind the head to prevent the animal from just running up the shaft to attack the hunter.
Firearms and shooting from a distance obviously changed things significantly, but we still wouldn’t want to let one get too close. There are videos of boars charging hunters even today

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://i.postimg.cc/GttSLcPM/...0231202-084818-1.jpg

Your niece appears to be “hooked”. I would start her shooting, if she isn’t already, and let her hunt for real.

Love her shoes.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Wow, that’s a lot of pork. Always love seeing this post each year.

Posts: 13744 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Nice work!

Posts: 26920 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Well done. 4 fewer pigs in the world is a good weekend.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10491 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post