Main Page
The Mason-Howe Rifle Room
I have a Model 52 if one of you would like to try this feat!Go ![]() | New ![]() | Find ![]() | Notify ![]() | Tools ![]() | Reply ![]() | |
Member![]() |
| ||
|
| Freethinker |
Thanks, an interesting reminder of a bygone age: “Oh, yeah 50 feet!” but three (or four) positions and a tiny target. I did a lot of that, but years ago when prone and the other positions were possible. “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” — Plato | |||
|
| Savor the limelight |
It says the target pictured is 2/3 the size of the actual target and the distance was 50’. Those magazines are rare and hold what, 5 rounds? I’d get bored after the first 100 rounds. That’s 357 mag reloads. Almost 6 hours spent reloading if it took 1 minute each. | |||
|
Member![]() |
The one I have is a 52D model which is single feed. I'd have to have my arm re-attched ! JEREMIAH 33:3 | |||
|
| Member |
It was a different era. It's been a long time since I've seen one of the targets up close. They appear large for 50 feet....until you shoot at it from various positions, with the rifle supported by only a sling. Few people ever shoot in such a manner, especially now. They won't practice, won't develop the skills, will never become a true marksman. They want instant results and equipment that does the work for them. Concrete benches, mechanical front & rear rests, uber light triggers, scopes that rival the Hubble telescope. Tons of respect for the positional shooters. | |||
|
| Freethinker |
Shooting supports that aren’t “artificial” in that they rely on something such as the ground, bench, etc., are an interesting (to me) subject. The single sling that was also a carrying strap was long used by American military forces as a way of improving steadiness. I’ve actually thought from time to time about trying to relearn how such slings are used, but then I get lazy and go back to using tripods, bipods, benches. I also cannot get into the proper prone position that benefited from the sling support. I’m no longer comfortable in kneeling or sitting either, so …. I don’t know how much of this is still valid, but in various traditional competition disciplines such as three position 50 foot small bore, there were sometimes restrictions on gear. For example, when I was doing it as a teenager, a palm rest was not permitted. A palm rest is an aid that extends down from the forend of the rifle to rest on one’s support hand palm when shooting from the offhand position. That permits folding the upper arm against one’s chest for additional support rather than having to hold the rifle into shooting position by muscle power alone. In competition years later they were permitted, and I still have one. Hooked butt plates were also commonly prohibited. The hook of that device is placed under one’s armpit to reduce the effort to keep the rifle barrel from rotating down, especially in the offhand position. Slings were almost always used, and especially ones designed to wrap around the upper portion of the support arm. That type could often be tightened to the point of reducing the pulse in the lower arm and therefore forend movement. They were probably prohibited in the junior program but I used one later. My father had been a competitor in the Army and he gave me one of his shooting coats. They were a snug fit to help with support and had elbow pads. Even today specialized coats for the purpose are available for traditional shooting disciplines. I’ve never tried one, but I believe they are very stiff, often made of thick leather, and have straps to tighten them around one’s chest. All that helps reduce the effects of heartbeat and other small, involuntary movements. One thing I found out in Germany was that such coats for competitions were prohibited. They couldn’t be stiff and tight for the purpose, evidently because they were considered an unnatural aid. And then the shooting gloves. They were used on the support hand to reduce the pressure caused by the rifle and sling with a tight hold. As I say, recollections. “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” — Plato | |||
|
| Member |
A good friend has a pre war 52 sporter barrel. It’s an incredible piece of art and stupjd accurate. In Boy Scouts one of the dads had a stack of Remington single shot trainers as we had regular camp outs to a county police range in the mountains laying on a shooting mat all day single loading 22 and shooting at a 50 yard NRA small target. Where I learned to shoot so well with irons. | |||
|
| His diet consists of black coffee, and sarcasm. ![]() |
Right there with you. | |||
|
| Hop head |
club I belong to had Smallbore matches once upon a time, but not longer one of the founders was a prone shooter, and one of the professors at UVA ran there smallbore team and is also a member of the club still, tho his health does not allow him to shoot, the prone guys used a no pulse sling, basically a wide band of padded leather that went over your arm and attached via a standard mil sling to the front swivel, it was not overly tight, that would make it not work, every position is such that you have bone structure for support, the hand rest and hooked butt made it easier, but as you said, not always allowed (I still have several for my 52's) a lot of the school small bore guys moved up to High Power, the skillset transfers easily, and you did not, could not, use the sling for offhand, but did for the ohter positions, to be honest, I have never seen a smallbore of high power shooter that was not just a beginner, shoot without a jacket of some kind, https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/ | |||
|
| Powered by Social Strata |
| Please Wait. Your request is being processed... |
|
Main Page
The Mason-Howe Rifle Room
I have a Model 52 if one of you would like to try this feat!
