SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR not firing consistently
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR not firing consistently Login/Join 
Man Once
Child Twice
posted
My son built an AR with a BCM BCG and Complete upper. He also put in a LPK from Stag. It was his first build. He lives in Tampa, me in NE Ohio.

The problem is that about every 10 Rds or so he has no ignition of primer. I told him it might be hard primers. He’s using Federal 55gr from WW. This is the second time he’s shot it with same results. Also, what is the correct buffer for ML system?

What could be going on? Ammo?? Buffer?? Firing Pin??? I told him to try different ammo next time. But thought you guys could put more light on the subject. He will be reading this for your suggestions. Thanks.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure he put the trigger spring in the correct way.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
The buffer and spring are matched to the receiver extension (buffer tube) type, either collapsible or rifle. It has nothing to do with the upper gas system. A fairly common problem with a home built lower is getting the hammer spring on wrong. I would check that first.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Hammer spring backwards. Weak hammer spring, there are some junk ones out there that are bad even new. Not enough firing pin protrusion. To much headspace. All come to mind.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
If his trigger pull feels kinda mushy, but light in pull weight, and feels a bit like a 3-4 lb two stage...the spring is the culprit. I did this on last build, too many distractions and in a rush, I goofed it up.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Hammer spring backwards. Weak hammer spring, there are some junk ones out there that are bad even new. Not enough firing pin protrusion. To much headspace. All come to mind.

This is about what I'm leaning towards, too. Especially hammer spring related.

What lower is he using?

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:

Yup..

Pretty much all the guys in this thread already nailed it.

An incorrectly installed hammer spring will result in light primer strikes. (it is a very easy mistake to make)

Have him take an in focus picture of the inside of his lower, especially around the hammer.

Post it here and we can either confirm or rule this out.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:

Yup..

Pretty much all the guys in this thread already nailed it.

An incorrectly installed hammer spring will result in light primer strikes. (it is a very easy mistake to make)

Have him take an in focus picture of the inside of his lower, especially around the hammer.

Post it here and we can either confirm or rule this out.

I'm speaking from experience...it's a very easy mistake to make.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
When the hammer spring is installed backwards/incorrectly, the trigger pins work their way out of the lower every dozen shots or so as well. Very easy diagnosis, when you see some guy on the range and his pins are walking out.... his hammer spring was installed incorrectly.

For a 16 inch mid-length gas system, if you have a A2 style stock, then you use an A2 style rifle buffer. If he has the collapsible carbine stock (more likely), then he can use a regular 3.0 ounce carbine buffer, or a 3.7 ounce H buffer, or a 4.6 ounce H2 buffer typically.

H buffer is a good standard recommendation.

If he has a 14.5 inch mid length, he might need to run a standard 3.0 ounce buffer. I have a very early BCM 14.5 inch mid length, that is under gassed. It doesn't work right with an H buffer, but functions perfect with a standard buffer. My gun is a very early model, and I believe they increased the gas port size on the later guns.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post