SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Looking for a light compact bolt action LEFT Hand in.308
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a light compact bolt action LEFT Hand in.308 Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
I’ve done a cursory search of Ruger browning savage tikka. Didn’t see a truly compact lightweight version. Did I miss one or is there another brand I’m forgetting?

This will be an all around little gun that I can always have handy.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 8001 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t be opposed to another type of action if it was light and small and accurate. Maybe even a single shot but I have no experience with those.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Posts: 8001 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
You may want to consider a Remington 700 LTR. Do not know if there are still manufactured. Should meet your requirements. But be aware of the broad recall of triggers on many Remington 700s. I had a gunsmith install a Timney in place of the Remington stock trigger.

Posts: 221 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger predator weighs in at about 6 1/2 lbs with a 22 inch barrel. Have the barrel cut and crowned and you can probably get it down to under 6 lbs.

link

Posts: 762 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:
Ruger predator weighs in at about 6 1/2 lbs with a 22 inch barrel. Have the barrel cut and crowned and you can probably get it down to under 6 lbs.

link

I have considered that very thing.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uvahawk:
You may want to consider a Remington 700 LTR. Do not know if there are still manufactured. Should meet your requirements. But be aware of the broad recall of triggers on many Remington 700s. I had a gunsmith install a Timney in place of the Remington stock trigger.

It’s a shame that I didn’t even think about Remington. I guess I could look for a used one.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I thought Kimber did, but I guess not.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the Mossberg MVP Scout. Checks off all your boxes. As for me (an old fossil) my all around rifle is still the Winchester 94 or Marlin 336

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16364 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steyr

Posts: 3368 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For many months local shop had a Ruger scout rifle in lefty on the used shelf. For a song compared to what the righty versions go. Somebody finally got it. If I knew any lefty shooters I would have bought it as a gift it was that cheap. So they are made and available.

Posts: 4943 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
As of last weekend there was one on Davidsons Gun Genie.

quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
For many months local shop had a Ruger scout rifle in lefty on the used shelf. For a song compared to what the righty versions go. Somebody finally got it. If I knew any lefty shooters I would have bought it as a gift it was that cheap. So they are made and available.

Edit: As of 3pm eastern time today...Gunsite Scout Rifle, Left-Hand in 308..."In Stock"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rebut10,

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I and a number of other members like Tikkas.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikk...Rk&o=1&p=1&i=48&d=48

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47647 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The Gunsite Scout has a short barrel but it's not really all that compact (41" long) or light (7.3 lbs.)

In comparison, the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Compact has a 20" barrel but is still only 39 1/2" OAL. And weighs 6lb8oz.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10554 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
https://christensenarms.com/mesa-fft/

5.5lbs, left hand, .308

Several in stock at Eurooptic, one Bergara, several Christensen Arms.

https://tinyurl.com/nmrxs2cw

Posts: 16152 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I'm looking hard at the Savage 110 PCS in 300blk for a compact, light, quiet, shorter distance left hand bolt action. The plan would be to SBR it and drop on a Sig Cross stock. Currently that setup would run me about 1200 with the stamp. It's available in 308 as well.

I know you said you'd already looked at Savage, but I can see the PCS flying under your radar. It's a left-hand bolt meant to be worked by a right hand shooter in the pistol configuration, so it's listed as a right-hand model. It still ejects right hand. But it's a 110 Precision with a 10.5" barrel, in an MDT aluminum chassis. With the Cross stock I mentioned it would be under 7 pounds, and have a folding stock.

https://savagearms.com/content...y&p=firearms&s=57797
https://www.sigsauer.com/stock-assy-cross-blk.html

Posts: 6040 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
https://www.browning.com/produ...unter-left-hand.html

Browning made the ‘Micro-Hunter’ in 308(and similar rounds). Yes, I know it say’s discontinued, likely lightly used or new on Gunbroker.

Posts: 6377 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Weatherby… my son has a backcountry MV and it weighs nothing! They come in left handed versions as well.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3721 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Ruger Guide Gun
Link

You could also get the Ruger American and have the 22 barrel cut to 18 or so, if you wanted a profile that didn't include the rail and box magazine.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12910 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I found a Browning Micro Midas LH 308 on GB. I pick it up today. Now to decide on a good semi compact scope.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington model 7. They come in a myriad of calibers from mild to wild (mine is a .308 in stainless steel). It is feather light and plenty accurate. Unfortunately with Remingtons bankruptcy, prices for used rifles are as high as quality competitors like Tikka are new.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15780 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post