SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Quick Trivia Question: Does SIG Make Its Own Air Rifles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick Trivia Question: Does SIG Make Its Own Air Rifles? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
I was reading lastmanstanding's review of the Ruger Impact Max Elite and found myself thinking about the break-open Ruger .177 I've got (Air Hawk Elite) which is made by an unknown company in China. It's actually been a pretty good little air rifle for what it is but, of course, I'm always mulling over whether I wouldn't like something else.

Does anyone know off of the top of their heads whether SIG makes their own air rifles? If they don't, then who makes the air rifles for them?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I don’t know come to think of it.

I know the ASP Super Target pistol is made by Chiappa but I don’t know about their rifles.

I will say their “Belt fed” C02 and PCP guns don’t seem to be copies of anything else and I haven’t seen the “belt fed” magazines anywhere else.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7673 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My SIG MPX air rifle box says that it was made in Japan.

Bill

Posts: 84 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: June 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
If they don't, then who makes the air rifles for them?

I know they've had deals in the past with GSG and Umarex, but I'm not sure if they do currently for their new items.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No they do not . I know Umarex made them at one time .

Posts: 4047 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thanks, gentlemen.

I finally had the chance to take my own advice and call SIG CS. Per them -

- SIG doesn't make any of its own air rifles

- All SIG air rifles are made in Japan or the communist imperialistic genocidal People's Republic of China

- SIG doesn't even carry parts for its air rifles, since it doesn't manufacture them

- SIG CS doesn't know which companies manufacture which air rifles

- SIG has no way of knowing whether an air rifle was made in the CIG PRC or Japan, and knows of no way of finding out without finding the SKU and trying to track down the manufacturer that way

- The only other way appears to be what Mr. McGoo did - look at the box. Which means, of course, that online sales are out and any shopping expedition will involve driving an underpaid sales clerk at least mildly insane

I probably shouldn't be - it's just an air rifle, after all (with my apologies to Chris, who has demonstrated here that he knows better) - but I am disappoint. RWS, I guess.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
What do you want to do with said air rifle? What do you want to spend on said air rifle?

Keep in mind if you want to stay away from
Chinesium you are going to pay for first world parts and labor. I am not going to get into the “politics” of it beyond I think it is good to try and reward first world/freedom loving country labor where possible but at the end of the day you are a consumer with limited resources so you do the best you can.

So with that said what do you want to do with an air rifle? As a gun guys gun guy with fairly wide experience with both firearms and air guns I will only give the following initial advice.

-Don’t get hung up on MORE POWAAAAA!!! Unless you have a very specific hunting or long range shooting need. (100+ yards).

-Where possible buy the best quality you can. There is a fairly marked difference in “most” mass marketed air guns vs a nice Weihrauch/Diana etc. It’s hard to wrap your head around spending “real gun money” on a “toy” but if you appreciate firearms you will likely appreciate better quality airguns.

None of that is to say there are not a wide variety of good guns for good money. That Ruger Airhawk is generally said to be a good piece for good money.

Chris

Posts: 7673 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
One other thing. Keep in mind Diana is outsourcing some of their line to China. So there cheaper stuff is likely Chinese if that matters should you be looking at RWS/Diana.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads ups.

I keep thinking I'd like a .22 to pop a couple of vermin as well as just to try something different from the .177s. Since said vermin are somewhat near where people live, accuracy is definitely higher on the priority list than power but would always like more power if the accuracy of two or more good air rifles is about equal with more or less standard weight and construction pellets. Since I don't really want to mess with CO2 cartridges, tanks, "pumping up" or foot pumps, I'm pretty sure I'm looking for a break open or something pretty dang similar.

FWIW, I don't necessarily insist on having an air rifle that's made in the USA. I would trust the Japanese to make an excellent air rifle within the parameters of what they contract to build.

I guess I'll keep shopping around. I'd read a pretty good review of one of SIG's .22 air rifles, had some spare time, and thought I'd look into the possibility. It looks like the next step is to find out which German air rifles have ChiCom surrogate mothers.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
- All SIG air rifles are made in Japan or the communist imperialistic genocidal People's Republic of China
That's gotta stop. Japan? No problem. China? Tremendous problem.

Someone at SIG-Sauer needs to override the bean counters and cease dealing with China entirely. Not even a ball point pen from China should have SIG's name on it.

Posts: 107481 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I know you said .22 and I really do hate to be THAT GUY………but Frown I feel like I would be doing you a dis service not passing this on. This is a fantastic price on a fantastic German air rifle.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1828970

Honestly and I have both calibers (not in D34s) and I think .177 is the way to go for most any needs. They also have a 350 magnum but that will be much harder to shoot accurately. I would suggest staying with the 34 if you go this route.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
And yes it bugs the shit out of me how much crap SIG rebrands these days.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1828970

Hmm. No one said I had to get the .22 right now anyway - I'll definitely take a look at that.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I just thought I would post this here since you are looking at airguns. This one started my German bias.

My first "real gun money" air rifle was this .22 HW30s. I had a crappy Beeman labled Norica gun before that truly sucked and a very good CZ 631 as my next but my first people are darn idjits to spend this kinda money on an airgun was this HW30. I have had it for a long time and it is a really smooth gun to shoot.

At any rate all these years later my OG gun that really lit the fuse on my airgun passion and made me understand why some idjit would spend real gun money on an air rifle is still putting smiles on my face today. With the right ammo, and she can be a little picky of an eater, but with the right ammo she is sublime.

Take care, shoot safe.
Some darn idjit. Big Grin

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some darn idjit.

Big Grin It still puts smiles on your face? You can't be that much of an idiot if you not only understood amortization but made it work for you.