SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Fun times with Service Rifles and Iron Sights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fun times with Service Rifles and Iron Sights Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I've been really busy lately and the little bit of shooting I've been able to sneak in has all either been for work or to work on a particular skill or diagnose some kind of an issue. I had some free time this afternoon and we had some errands to run in town anyway, so my son and I threw a big piece of steel and a couple of rifles in the truck.

The goal wasn't to work on anything in particular...just send some lead and make some noise with a couple of toys. We shot at 200 yards from a variety of positions and peppered the steel (and the dirt around it) pretty good. I should have brought some paint as it's been a few sessions since I painted it and it was kinda hard to see.

It's kinda fun shooting the Garand and an "M-16" back to back. That silhouette weighs about 30lbs, and the -06 will really get it swinging. The impacts are also quite loud. The .223 impacts are barely audible, and the steel hardly moves...but man you can shoot that thing fast and still get hits.

After shooting it from a variety of unsupported positions, I've determined that the faux-M16 really needs a sling. I think a retro early 90's style rig would be just about perfect...anybody have any suggestions?

Posts: 9302 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Good times! It's always satisfying shooting iron sights!

As for the AR sling, if you want a sling for shooting in positions, I recommend a cotton web sling or a Turner leather sling.

I don't remember what sling was used in rifle like Blackhawk Down. Maybe one like this, with shoestrings duct taped to the front sight and buttstock.

https://retrorifles.com/m16-sling-new/

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5540 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
https://colemans.com/u-s-g-sma...g-m1m14m16ar15-nylon
"We were incredibly lucky to find these very rare slings. This rifle sling has been the trusted sling of the United States Armed Forces for decades. It has gone through few changes since being first introduced in the 1960s. This sling will work with many firearms ranging from an M1 Garand to the modern AR style rifle. This is not a reproduction, this is the real deal. Get yours today before they are gone forever! Made of nylon webbing. Unused condition. NSN# 1005-01-083-8113. MADE IN USA."

Posts: 16233 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Israeli slings on all my ARs.
Zahal.

Posts: 388 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Anybody have any experience with something like this? https://www.spectergear.com/Pr....asp?ProductCode=532

It provides the visual I was hoping to achieve, and it's made in the US which is another huge plus. But if it's going to be super annoying to work with, I could go with something simpler. Thanks for the links...there are some good options.

Posts: 9302 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post