SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Re-barrel Remington Model 700 from 7mm STW?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-barrel Remington Model 700 from 7mm STW? Login/Join 
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted
So my dad shoots left handed and so does my son. About 15 years or so ago, my dad was gifted a Remington model 700 with a left handed bolt. His friend was a big handloader and liked the latest and greatest. Subsequently, he had the rifle rechambered from 7mm REM Mag to 7mm STW. Now, 15 years later he has gifted it to my left handed son. It came with 13 rounds of ammo lol. I’ve looked high and low online and there is no 7mm STW to be had. Even brass seems to be unavailable. The 13 rounds may get him through deer season but that’s it. I’m thinking the best bet may be to just buy a 7mm rem mag barrel and switch? What are your thoughts? Are barrels readily available? It’s a stainless barrel. Thanks for your thoughts.

Posts: 616 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
No experience with this retailer but I found these. https://rtparmor.com/products/a_60046

I don’t know how much your son shoots or how many deer he expects to kill. I can go a whole year annd only shoot a deer rifle 3 or 4 times a year. Check zero and then kill a deer or two. I can make a box or two of cartridges last a long time. I’d personally do that before I’d rebarrel.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10612 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I did an AmmoSeek seach and found some ammo but my God is it expensive.

I agree it depends on how much you are going to be shooting it but I would start with finding ammo first.

If going to be putting a lot of rounds through it then maybe re-barrel to something more popular.

Posts: 23262 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Could you have a smith remove a portion of the chamber and make it back into the 7mm rem mag? Or would that be cost prohibitive? If nothing else you could just rebarrel it in 308 and be able to get ammo anywhere(you’d need a new bolt too.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11488 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
At this point, it would make more sense to rebarrel in a more conventional, less expensive, and far more easily sourced caliber. Unless he is a hand loader or knows one than can keep him supplied for reasonably cheap, it seems a better idea. That or horse trade it for something like something in .308 or 30.06 perhaps. There are plenty of left handed options out there.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15866 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nosler makes ammo. Cheaper than a new barrel if it still shoots.

Posts: 1845 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Ebay one...

Cost you more than that to have it installed.

Or you could learn to form the brass. I could send you reloading dies, been trying to find them a home for years.

Posts: 21418 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Numrich also has used barrels in 7mm Rem Mag. Around $100.00 (drilled for sights but no sights included).

PC

Posts: 1375 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Unless one reloads, $85 per 20 rounds would add up quickly to surpass the cost of a rebarreling unless they don’t plan to do much shooting.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15866 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I am not a gunsmith so I'm showing some ignorance here but isn't the 7STW a magnum length chamber and magazine? And the 7RM is a standard long action? So this rifle has had the chamber reamed to have a longer chamber and the mag well has been worked.

So can you even go BACK to 7RM from 7STW? That is what OP is suggesting, correct? Going back to 7RM?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10612 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Doing some more reading on the internet reveals what I posted to be a common misconception. It seems the magazine box and feed rails maybe different, but that wouldn’t prevent one from going back to 7mm Rem Mag by rebarreling.

I’d see if I could find the dies for 7mm STW and learn to reload it.

Posts: 11720 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I am not a gunsmith so I'm showing some ignorance here but isn't the 7STW a magnum length chamber and magazine? And the 7RM is a standard long action? So this rifle has had the chamber reamed to have a longer chamber and the mag well has been worked.

So can you even go BACK to 7RM from 7STW? That is what OP is suggesting, correct? Going back to 7RM?

I believe the 7mm STW and 7mm Rem. Mag. would use the same action length. The long 700 action.

Posts: 948 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
7mm STW is Not exactly an all day plinker round. Unless he’s a hard core hunter bagging many animals a year a box or 2 should last a really long time after it’s sighted in. And even at 80-100 every few years that’s not outrageous compared to the cost of a Elk or moose hunt
I’d bite the bullet and leave it as is and find the load it likes and enjoy being able to hunt anything on this continent.

Unless your shooting really long distances given a magnum action I’d probly rebarrel to 300 win mag

Posts: 4992 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Cases are available from Quality Cartridge.

I have ordered .25 Gibbs cases from them and they are good people.

https://www.qual-cart.com/284%20cal.htm

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12967 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post