SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    First battle belt for an armed citizen – any “easy button” options?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First battle belt for an armed citizen – any “easy button” options? Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi all,

Like many of you I’m just a regular armed citizen, and in keeping with the spirit of the “today I cleaned my rifle” thread, I’m looking to add a system that allows me to carry items I may need in serious situation. Something that I can put on quickly, that is relatively comfortable to wear for an extended time, and is adaptable. What options exist that could be thought of as “easy button” solutions at various price points that could fill my needs?

I’ve looked at chest rigs, plate carriers, and battle belts from multiple manufacturers and I feel that the belt-based system is the best for me right now. Here are my initial thoughts on what I’d like it to carry:

• 1:30 – flashlight and fixed blade knife
• 3:00 – holster for my Glock 17
• 5:00 – small trauma kit pouch (TQ, Israeli bandage, compressed gauze, gloves)
• 7:00 – small dump pouch
• 9:00 – 2 AR-15 mags, 2 G17 mags
• 10:30 – cell phone

My two defensive firearms include an AR-15 and a Rem 870 Police. If possible, I’d like the belt system to be flexible enough such that I could easily swap out the 2 AR-15 mags for perhaps 2 rows of 12 gauge shells. I have a Velcro side saddle on the receiver of my 870 that holds 7 shells, so perhaps the same pouches that hold an AR-15 mag could hold a refill for the side saddle?

Also, I carry my G19 every day in the AIWB position. I was thinking it may be advantageous to preserve the muscle memory as much as possible and place the pistol on this belt in a similar position, around 1:30, in an OWB holster of course. Has anyone tried this on a battle belt? How does it work out?

What specific options exist out there for this battle belt? Is there a sweet spot of quality and price? I’d like a few different price/quality options to see what may fit best for me. What are the tried-and-true combos that work well together? What other considerations are there that I'm missing?

Thanks for your insight!

Chris

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In combat and in training I've always carried and made my Soldiers carry their IFAKs on their non-shooting side so they can continue to engage with their firing hand and still reach their med kits as necessary.

You aren't on patrol in Afghanistan or Iraq but you never know what kind of situation you might find yourself in. The rest of the setup sounds ok. It's an individual thing so you need to try it out and go for what is comfortable for you. You might consider purchasing armor and a plate carrier of you are truly interested in being prepared for the worst.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PossibleZombie,

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check these out, I have one and like it, not the exact set up but you can add specific pouches or different configurations. The configuration listed has most of what you asked for.

https://store.usgruntgear.com/progrbebuwco.html

Use code: WISHSE for 15% off

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Super Shooter,

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.spartanarmorsystem...olice-tactical-gear/

For under $300 you can get a plate carrier and plates. Just add a few pouches and you can have all you need plus ballistic protection.

I like the battle belt idea and it is way better than nothing, but putting the battle belt $ towards a plate carrier and plates gives you an option that will actually stop bullets and can be tossed on just as fast.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Chest rig or plate carrier.

Put all that stuff on a belt and try to do something as simple as sit in a car/truck.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Quite a few of the matches that I attend will put you in a vehicle for a scenario. Or we will drive from one stage to another during the course of a match.

Any gear on the back of your belt causes varying degrees of discomfort while sitting in a vehicle.

I have moved more and more of my gear to my chest rig over time. I still use a fair amount of belt mounted gear but if your use for such gear is in a role as an armed citizen for unforseen circumstances, sufficient comfort to wear it all day is important.

I have a slim and lightweight chest rig from 5.11 that they call the Tac-Tec. It has 6 pouches with velcro for retention that can also be folded out of the way. They are big enough that they can easily hold mags (pistol or rifle), a radio, knife, flashlights, etc. It also has molle on the front so you can add more storage if needed.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, guys. I do appreciate the benefits of going with a plate carrier. But I'd still need a belt of some sort too for a pistol, etc. So why not start with a belt and progress from there? I'm starting to narrow down my ideas and will let you know what I come up with.

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are you willing to spend?

You can get an "Uncle Mikes" belt and pistol belt for about $50 and go from there.(much like Law Enforcement Duty Belts)

Or, $75 for just the belt, and extra $30 - $50 for a belt pad, then $150-$200 for the holster, toss in suspenders, mag holders, pouches... add another $150-$200.

Tried and True combos? There's a bunch. It mostly depends on how much $ you want to spend?

https://tacticalgear.com/searc...chterm=battle%20belt

ttps://lapolicegear.com/hsgi-1-5-rigger-belt.html

https://lapolicegear.com/condor-rigger-belt.html

https://tacticalgear.com/cobra...0cobra%20belts%20(em)

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Another way to look at this is layers of gear. If I’m in a situation where I need plates, ok. If not, or if I only have time to slap the belt on, I’m ahead of the game.

I have a plate carrier setup but, like OP, I needed something that could carry my pistol and mags. Since I’ve made a commitment to get trained up this year, I initially purchased my battle belt in order to do pistol training easier.

I went with an Esstac belt with inner Velcro belt so it’s off and on quickly, the Safariland mid rise holster attachment, Esstac KYWI pistol mag holders (3 with gap), and an AR mag holder.

I really like Esstac’s method of attaching to the belt better than other products.

While the points about being in and out of a vehicle are true, cops do it everyday. I’ll also echo the wisdom about putting your med pouch on your weak side and since TQs are cheap, stick some on your PC too.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post