SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Cheek rest
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheek rest Login/Join 
posted
I cant get a solid cheek weld on my bolt gun, I need a about 1/2 to 3/4 inch rise to get a solid sight picture. I was looking at cheek rests yesterday and cant seem to find much that isnt kydex. This is going on a Walnut stock. Does anybody have a recommendation for a nice cheek pad for that doesnt look like plastic crap? Thanks.

Posts: 132 | Registered: December 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There are a number of leather makers out there that offer nice-looking cheek risers.

I'm a fan of Triad Tactical, who offers several different varieties of quality nylon stock packs/cheek risers. They're available in a few different colors. You have several options, including just a pad with no pouch, or a zippered pouch on one side with internal ammo loops, or a zippered pouch with external ammo loops. The pouch versions are available in a couple different sizes.

The padded cheek portion is made from a soft suede-like material, which is very comfortable.

The best part is that, unlike most nylon or leather cheek risers, the amount of rise is adjustable in small increments on the Triad risers. Underneath the top portion of the cheek pad is a stack of velcro strips. IIRC, the base riser with no extra strips is something like 3/8", with each additional strip adding another 1/16". You can play aroudn with it and add or remove strips until you achieve the exact amount of rise needed.

https://www.triadtactical.com/All-Triad-Stock-Packs/

Here's one on my M77 RSI, in Coyote Brown. It's relatively classy-looking, for nylon. And it's very comfortable and durable, and performs very well. This one has the standard sized pouch with internal loops.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Id reach out to a custom leather shop in your area and have them make you something.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The Triad Tactical type design has been offered by a couple of other companies in the past, but evidently don’t still make them. Although I’d prefer something other than faux suede for my dirty, sunscreened face to rest against, it’s a good design that works well in my experience. The pouch options might be useful. The ones I have didn’t come with a set of Velcro risers, so that would be a definite plus. I’ve resorted to increasing the height of the rest by putting layers of firm plastic foam between the rest and the stock.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great advice, Thank you!

Posts: 132 | Registered: December 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
What about one of those MRT ones made for the Grands, M14? It laces on, I had one for years but have no idea what happened to it.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with them, but when I was researching scope mounts I came across these and they look pretty nice. Bradley Cheek Rest

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A while back i saw someone using this model at the range, the gentleman using it said he liked it....however he did inform me that he elected to velcro it to his rifle stock to further secure it.

http://itcmarksmanship.com/ITC...kRest-Leather-Suede/

Posts: 5900 | Location: southern california | Registered: April 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Bradley on my M1A Scout. Rock solid.
http://bradleycheekrest.com/main.sc

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m.tenenhaus:
A while back i saw someone using this model at the range, the gentleman using it said he liked it....however he did inform me that he elected to velcro it to his rifle stock to further secure it.

http://itcmarksmanship.com/ITC...kRest-Leather-Suede/

The ITC cheek rests look good, especially as they are available with different covering materials. That strap-on design can tend to slide around on smooth stocks, so securing it with Velcro is a good idea.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a suggestion for an adjustable cheek rest for a Remington 700 with a HS Precision stock?
I don't mind drilling. I just don't want to have to toss this stock and go with a chassis.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
I wound up getting a Bradley Cheek Rest for my Tikka CTR. Works great.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Does anyone have a suggestion for an adjustable cheek rest for a Remington 700 with a HS Precision stock?
I don't mind drilling. I just don't want to have to toss this stock and go with a chassis.

Bruce

Maybe this?

https://www.amazon.com/Matthew...-Cheek/dp/B00G9PN4G2

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
That could work.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post