SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rifle Question #2...Your Thoughts on the Mini 14
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle Question #2...Your Thoughts on the Mini 14 Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I had a couple of mini’s back in the 90’s and my expectations were just too high also I think in the back of my mind I’d compare them to the AR, and even then, before all the cool AR accessories (2-stage triggers, adjustable gas blocks etc) … in my mind there was just no reason to own one.
Fast forward 30+ years and I got the itch for one, and found a stainless 180 Ranch Rifle with a stainless folding Choate stock and knowing its accuracy limitations, the price was right and it checked all the boxes that were important to me, so it followed me home.
When I got it out and shot it at a friend’s farm … it was about 100 yards and 62grain SilverBear, I was able to keep my unsupported shots inside a 12” target, it was far from MOA but was MOM (Minute of Man) and that was good enough for my purposes.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5708 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
My 195 series with the Choate and Accu-strut (SOCOM). It came with rings so I'll have to remind myself how it shoots soon.

Posts: 3523 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the accuracy of the newer guns as bad as they say?

How reliable are they?

How effective would they be in a SHTF role?

The accuracy of the older ones is as bad as they say. The newer ones are decent, as long as you're not expecting benchrest performance. Older ones (without "help" Wink) , about 4-6 moa, newer ones, at least last I checked, expect about twice as good at 2-3 moa, but sometimes gets down around 1.5. Not stellar, but for closer range defense completely serviceable.

They are very reliable, stemming from the simplicity of the cycling system. Self-cleaning and robust.

I personally chose the Mini over the AR platform for SHTF scenarios. I just equated simplicity with reliability.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16368 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned several over the years and have one now serving as the back of the house gun. They are tough and reliable with factory mags. As has been noted here earlier they are not a match rifle. In olden times I used an AC556K, stainless with stainless folding stock single, 3 shot, and full switch. Handy and reliable.

Posts: 146 | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I have several. One was my HD gun for a while. I can hit a paper plate at 100 yards and that's good enough for me. To someone not used to an AR, the manual or arms of the mini is easier.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7947 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
The poor mans assault rifle is NO more. At $400 ish they were a bargain way back when. At close to 1K a big thumbs down no matter what improvements ruger has made. If you can get one cheap then god bless, otherwise hard pass at sticker price...LOL

Posts: 2166 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I paid $600 for mine back in the early 2010s, lightly used, with a bunch of ammo and several extra mags.

While I like it, no way I'd pay retail for one today.

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but here's an Auto Ordnance M1 carbine NIB for $1,068. Ships free.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...021603614?pid=706263

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post