SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Its almost deer season, so get your Traditions Mountain Howitzer Black Powder Cannon now!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Its almost deer season, so get your Traditions Mountain Howitzer Black Powder Cannon now! Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
This ( or its brother) is on page 29 among the black powder rifles and gear of the new Midway Fall print catalog:

Here in Florida its either dogs 'n buckshot in the thick woods, or a scoped rifle from a tree stand in the wide open areas.

Maybe ya'll do things different up North?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Claymore’s in the trees!

Posts: 1740 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shiloh Sharps 45-70 on crossed sticks @ 400 yds. in Montana. Wink

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
We mostly use bumpers and grilles, occasionally a hood or windshield will suffice.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
In my neighborhood I could probably use a hammer. Dressing it out though would probably bring complaints from the neighbors.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^^ I once found a guy “skinning” a deer in the driveway while I was on patrol. He was only taking the hams as the front had taken a 12slug thru the front shoulders and was useless. He just cut the legs at the knee and slit the skin at the top of the rump, basically worked at it from the outside and never made a huge mess, peeling the skin off the hams until he could remove them. Then he went after the blackstrap from the outside too. No gutpile, little blood. I’ve never seen anyone do hat before

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
In my neighborhood I could probably use a hammer. Dressing it out though would probably bring complaints from the neighbors.

Same here, although it wouldn't disturb the neighbors...they'd just want to see if yours is bigger than theirs. I got a roadkill deer on the way home from work one morning (Fresh hit, still alive...I put it down and had one of the county deputies fill out the possession form for me) and strung it up from the swing set in the backyard and dressed it out with help from my 7 year-old before he had to leave for school.

Most deer hunting around here is done from tree stands, and shots are inside of 50 yards. Rifles are legal on private property now, but really the 12ga slug is still more than adequate for the hunting properties that I have access to.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Usually while I'm in the woods hunting, I'm deciding what guns I'm going to bring the following year.

Of course new guns may come along that throw that off.

This year was all set until today. Hunting from the cabin I can bring many if I like. I had planned on bringing my Ruger #1 in .400/450 as my iron sighted rifle. But today I got the itch my bring my ratty Savage 1899 in .250-3000 instead.

(many many years ago I once hunted for a week and never used the same gun more than half a day lol)

Canon is cool, but I doubt I'd play with it more than once. I went muzzle loader crazy after the late season last year. Put new sights on one muzzle loader, and ended up buying two additional ones. Still haven't shot any of them. Roll Eyes

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
We build our mountain rifles.
https://www.thehawkenshop.com/...n-Rifle-Kit__H1.aspx

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Wonder if it falls under punt gun laws.

I see now it’s .50 caliber. That dashes my canister shot dreams.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig operator:
Shiloh Sharps 45-70 on crossed sticks @ 400 yds. in Montana. Wink

That may have been a joke, but I have one and I've done that (well...300 yards). First and only (so far) kill with my Sharps was a nice little muley buck.

I really want to take a buffalo with it.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post