SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Dumbassery and Experience at the Range
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dumbassery and Experience at the Range Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
RO: The line's going hot, eyes & ears, the range is hot.

Me: *Tries to close bolt on the chamber flag*

Experience: You've already done that today. Twice.
Dumbass.

What've you got?

Posts: 16235 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've done that same thing myself...more than once.

I've also shown up to the range with ammo that is not the appropriate caliber for the gun I brought.

Frown

Posts: 9326 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I watched a guy raise a pistol, and shoot

Boom, it jammed

He racked it and then shot again, it jammed

He kept doing this until the RO came over to ask just WTF he thought he was doing

Posts: 34745 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I watched a guy raise a pistol, and shoot

Boom, it jammed

He racked it and then shot again, it jammed

He kept doing this until the RO came over to ask just WTF he thought he was doing

Yep, saw that several times while teaching at the police academy. Repeated FTE/FTF on every shot.

Bang. Tap/rack. Bang. Tap/rack. Bang. Tap/rack. *CEASE FIRE*

Inevitably it was a cadet that had loaded the magazine of their .40 caliber Glock with 9mm ammo, despite repeated exhortation from instructors to triple check their caliber and ammo boxes.

Happened about once or twice a year.

Posts: 33157 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
What've you got?

Earlier this year, I used a pistol bag as a rest to shoot an 11" SBR off of. I think with anything but the Bren 2, it would have probably been fine, but it has a downward vent in the flash hider and I blew a hole in the outer compartment of the pistol bag.

Well... "a hole" implies, I guess, a hole. The zipper was left, and some of the fabric it was attached to is probably a better way to describe what's left of the outer pouch. There's more hole than pouch now.

Posts: 17717 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I posted this long ago here, but it may serve as a cautionary tale to newer members, or at least a bit of a laugh.

I was handloading for my 7mm Rem Mag Ruger 77 and wanted to test and get velocities for several loads. The nearest range where that was feasible was a long drive from home. The night before I loaded the car for the session, and that morning the last thing to go in the car was the case with the rifle.

Two hour drive to get to the range about sunrise and before anyone else occupied all the benches. Run down range to set up the targets, unload and set up the shooting rest and rear bag, unbox the handloads, take the rifle in its case out of the car and lay it on the bench, set up the Oehler chronograph with its three screens and two tripod supports and separate recording and printer unit, then finally pull the rifle out of the case: and remember that the bolt had been stored separately from the rifle for security.

Forgetting a rifle bolt has happened since, but never again discovered two hours from home.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47759 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used my range bag as a shooting rest for one of my ARs. The barrel got a little close to the bag and destroyed the carry strap and almost blew a pocket off the bag.

Posts: 4775 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
First time I was using my AAC 762SDN6 suppressor I was pleased as punch with it, blasting mag after mag, marveling at how quiet it was. Then set it down on my new nylon rifle case. Hmmm I thought, what is that burning smell? Important pro tip, turns out those suppressors get rocket hot after use BUT, on the plus side, I custom designed a nice burn mark on my new rifle case so I can tell it apart from any other one and nylon just chips off the suppressor when it cools down.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2089 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Forgot to bring a mag for my VZ.

Posts: 3819 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
300 Win Mag with a muzzle brake took out the outer zippered compartment on my range bag. Note to self, take real bag rest next time.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I once went to a service match and had forgotten my M14 mags. The other guys ribbed me but let me borrow a few

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11488 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Suppose my last range trip was the first time I felt like a dumbass. I live in a townhouse with detached garage so break my ARs down to uppers and lowers so they sit in a duffle bag. Got to the range, pulled out upper and lower for first AR, tilted back upper and watched BCG slide out of upper and onto the concrete ground Mad
Luckily them BCM BCGs are built for combat and didn’t skip a beat Big Grin {facepalm x10}

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2573 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Yeah, I once went to a service match and had forgotten my M14 mags. The other guys ribbed me but let me borrow a few

I showed up a highpower match one day, a 1.5 hour drive from home, without the handstop for my match rifle. Nope, nobody had a spare. I served as the pit boss that day so somebody else could shoot.

Then there was the day I took my 9mms out to shoot but found only .45ACP in the ammo can when I opened it.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Late night went to my club’s indoor range with another member a couple weeks ago. Brought my Victory .22 and SA-35 together with ammunition. Shooting partner brought his range bag but forgot his guns.

I loaned him mine to shoot. Bet he won’t do that again.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8413 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Earlier this year, I used a pistol bag as a rest to shoot an 11" SBR off of. I think with anything but the Bren 2, it would have probably been fine, but it has a downward vent in the flash hider and I blew a hole in the outer compartment of the pistol bag.

Well... "a hole" implies, I guess, a hole. The zipper was left, and some of the fabric it was attached to is probably a better way to describe what's left of the outer pouch. There's more hole than pouch now.

I’ll admit, I’ve done this too.

Posts: 854 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post