SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR Pistol Grip for Bolt Action Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR Pistol Grip for Bolt Action Rifle Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I want to change the pistol grip on my 6.5CM bolt gun.
The rifle currently uses a Magpul MOE grip. I would like to try a more vertical style grip.
I'm NOT a fan of finger grooves on any of my firearms and not a fan of rubber on my grips, but could live with it.

What have you found to be a good grip?

Posts: 4620 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://mdttac.com/mdt-vertical-grip-premier/

Had this grip on a XLR chassis, happy with it. Being able to move the grip forward/back to get my trigger finger at or near 90 degree bend is a good feature. Believe it very advantages to get that right to get a straight back pull.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the BCM Gunfighter Mod 1 grips on my ARs. It has a more vertical angle than most grips.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have the MDT grip on a couple of my rifles and am happy with them. I don’t know that I’m a good enough shooter to attest that the truly vertical grip style helps me much, but it is becoming very common among shooters who are.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I have the MDT grip on a couple of my rifles and am happy with them. I don’t know that I’m a good enough shooter to attest that the truly vertical grip style helps me much, but it is becoming very common among shooters who are.

Vertical grips have been around for a long time, A5 style stocks from McMillan, Manners, Sako TRG stock/rifle with an adjustable trigger shoe. A more vertical grip is going to put our hand in a more natural position. It’s good there is more and more vertical AR grips available and bolt rifle chassis that use these grips. Adjustable trigger finger length of pull, even better. Friends have file/sand on their Ergo tactical grips to change the trigger LOP.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
There are now more than a few adjustable angle grips out there, too.

The original slant back grip came from the tactic of firing in the prone, if you simulated it standing up, the barrel points vertically at the sky. That requires more slant to be comfortable.

Sitting or standing the rifle rotates down 90 degrees which alters the position of the arm and hand. That is why there are different grip angles. Our combat doctrine in low intensity conflict is more upright using a chest plate which has to be "squared" as a tactic to maximize protection.

Tailor the stance to the application, it's a matter of how the shot is being taken. Paper targets or live targets that don't shoot back allow different positions to be used.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
My rifle has an Ashbury chassis that has an adjustable,sliding mount for the grip.
My hands are not large so I keep the grip as far forward as it will travel.
All my shooting is from a sitting position. If I went to a prone position ( I'm sure my shooting skills would plummet because all I would be thinking about is how will I get back on my feet)I could always switch back to the Magpul MOE grips now on the rifle.
I will check out the suggested grips.

Thanks for the advice.

Posts: 4620 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I have the BCM Gunfighter grips on 2 of my 3 ARs, and like them way better than the A2 grips they came with.

Posts: 7260 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I greatly prefer a more vertical grip, and have either Magpul MOE-K or BCM Gunfighter grips on all my ARs.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I ordered the MDT Premier.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The original firing hand grips on most muskets and early rifles were straight and angled down at the rear only slightly. The same was true of many one-piece military rifle wood stocks into the 20th century. I’m not enough of a weapon historian to know when “pistol grip”* stocks such as used with the M1 Garand first made an appearance, but it was at least as early as the Mauser 98. The effect of such stocks is to position the hand more vertically and naturally. But it wasn’t until rifle designs permitted a separate grip piece, à la the AK-47 that even more vertical designs became common. One-piece stocks of the M14E2 variety with more nearly vertical hand grips would have required larger wood blanks to manufacture and the grips might have been somewhat more prone to being broken in rough use.

Much of my shooting with rifles with vertical grips is from the prone and I have never experienced any problem doing so. The same is evidently true of the many competitors who commonly use vertical grips when shooting from the prone as well. That doesn’t mean that a vertical grip is best for all guns and situations, but they do have their advantages sometimes.

* As with everything relating to guns, it seems, terminology relating to stock design has changed over time. The stock style of the M1 Garand was once called a “pistol grip” stock, but ever since rifles like the AR-15 and AK-47 have become much more popular, that pistol grip term more commonly refers to their grips that are separate pieces attached to the receiver rather than being part of the stock. Jeff Cooper referred to the AK and similar styles as a “saw handle” grip.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post