SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Comparing the G36 with the AR15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comparing the G36 with the AR15 Login/Join 
posted
I have been working on a G36 for a few months now. I finally have it in a condition that I am more-or-less pleased with, and I have begun to weigh it's pros and cons, when compared to the AR15. I am of the opinion that the AR is king, and this comparison isn't a "which is better?" discussion.

The guns being compared are configured similarly, and are almost equally capable. The G36 has a 12.5" "K" barrel, OSS HXQD556 silencer, Surefire vampire scout light, Steiner OTAL IR laser, MFT torch light, and Trijicon ACOG. The AR has an 11.5" Colt barrel with FSB gas block, Gemtech HALO silencer, Surefire M952 with vampire head, PEQ15, MFT torch light, and Elcan Specter.

The OAL length of the G36 is two inches longer than the AR, but given the extra inch of barrel, the platform itself adds only one inch. Overall height, from bottom of mag to top of optic, is one inch taller on the G36 as well. Weight with a loaded mag is the same, although all I had handy was a luggage scale; both are nine pounds on that particular scale.

The shooting is where it gets more interesting. So, far the G36 is a joy to shoot. Very minimal recoil, muzzle rise, and gas emissions. The G36 has two obvious advantages, as configured, where the gas is concerned: the piston operation and the OSS can. However, I have used the OSS can on a piston AR15 and a 55X rifle, and was still bothered by gas. I believe the advantage lies in the vented trunnion. The G36 is able to vent excess bore gasses forward, into the handguard, once the seal between the bolt face and chamber is broken. This allows some of that silencer-induced gas to get out of the system, before the bore is opened up to the main body of the receiver. This is what I believe to be occurring anyway. The way I understand it, these vents were designed as a safety feature, in the event of an out-of-battery detonation or chamber over-pressure scenario; they may also serve the purpose I propose here, when a silencer is used.

The AR is equipped with silencer-friendly components: BRT .067 gas tube, Gemtech adjustable carrier, and gas buster charging handle, but is still far gassier than the G36.

I am aware of the G36 controversy in the German military and, as previously stated, I don't intend this as a sort of real competitive discussion between the two rifles. I am more expressing my pleasant surprise at the G36's shooting characteristics, than anything else. I will update this thread, as I continue to shoot the G36.

Posts: 2130 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You’re aware of the controversy……….

Not intending this to be a real competitive discussion………

Thread title: Comparing the G36 with the AR15

Having been overseas, working with the German Army and EOD; I’ll say that they fucking hate the G36 and anything associated with it.

There really is no comparison between the 2 rifles.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Compare: to estimate, measure, or note the similarity or dissimilarity between. (per google)

Comparing things doesn't always indicate a competition. Also, what was the the rate of silencer use, among those units? Almost all of my shooting is performed with a silencer, and performance with a can attached is very important to me.

So far, I am digging the rifle. The excitement may subside, as time wears on; it often does. It will never replace the AR15, in my practical application of a carbine.

Posts: 2130 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pictures please. Since we aren’t fighting a war with these things I really don’t give a shit what the Germans think about them. It is an interesting rifle. Keep going.

Posts: 7444 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
A buddy has an H&K SL-8, and given the opportunity to shoot it, I of course accepted. Mind you, we were not shooting suppressed, nor do I own a suppressor, so that doesn't factor into my assessment of the rifle at all.

I was happy to get a chance to shoot it, but I'll admit that like pretty much every other H&K I've ever shot (which isn't a lot...just a few handguns and the SL-8), I left feeling pretty underwhelmed. We were shooting steel at 200 yards, and I had a way easier time making hits with my AR. My AR has better ergos, easier controls (admittedly, I'm used to them), I had an easier time getting a sight picture with the AR, and the AR is lighter and better balanced. There was literally nothing about the H&K that I preferred to the AR, and when you consider the price difference as well, it just didn't make any sense whatsoever.

It was a cool gun and an interesting design...I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to shoot it. But novelty aside, not only did it lag behind the AR in just about every practical category, but IMO the AR is just more fun to shoot (and I'm far from an AR fanboy...I actually own a Mini-14 and like it, lol).

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
Is this a conversion from an SL8 or a TG36

Posts: 1202 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find the G36 interesting. It's influence on the 416, Haenel, and VHS rifles is cool, and perhaps often unnoticed and/or unmentioned.

I kind of did a bad job describing the vented chamber characteristic earlier. Neither trunnion nor chamber is a good descriptor. The exterior of the chamber area of the barrel is splined; it looks like an end of a CV shaft for a car. These splines create channels, when the barrel is installed in the receiver; the channels connect the inside of the receiver to the atmosphere inside the handguard, so long as the bolt isn't engaged with the chamber.

I doubt I'll be uploading any pictures. I haven't, as long as I've been a member here. Maybe someday. I find the conversation to be more valuable, and it'd be very hard to photograph things like the vent channels anyway.

posted Hide Post
It is a former LE HK parts kit built on a TG36 receiver.

posted Hide Post
G36 is a range toy that’s fun to shoot and looks cool.

M4A1 is the matured M-16 that Everyone in SOF prefers to anything else on the market.

18Z50

Posts: 364 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The why of it being "fun" to shoot is important to consider, IMO. If it's fun to shoot because it's recoil impulse is subtler than an AR, it has less muzzle rise, and it stays far cleaner with a silencer attached, are we talking only about a fun factor, or are we dipping into meaningful characteristics that merit serious consideration?

Edit: I ran down into the woods when I got home from work. Did a quick 12-shot drill with the G36, immediately followed by the same with my favorite AR. My initial impressions of recoil and muzzle rise were definitely influenced by new gun syndrome; the AR is better in both regards. Filth and gas is still worse in the AR, but that's the nature of that gun, when compared to most piston rifles.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

posted Hide Post
I finally got around to getting a regular silencer onto the G36; I felt the comparisons during suppressed shooting weren't fair, due to the use of the OSS on the G36. I intended to use a Gemtech HALO on a 15x1 Smith Vortex, but the 15x1 device is different enough from their other ones that neither of my HALOs would work. It'll work after some minor modifications, but I was forced to borrow from a friend for now. So I ended up with a Gemtech bi-lock can on the end. I went to my normal shooting location, and performed my benchmark 12-shot drill. There was a noticeably sharper recoil impulse, but still no gas in my face; after firing, I also noticed signs of more crap being pushed back into the receiver. I should have brought the AR too, and done a side-by-side comparison, as I am aware that my impressions based on memory alone are not necessarily reliable; I will next time, once I get the Vortex modified. I have read posts elsewhere on the internet, saying that the G36 was a very gassy silencer host; I have experienced the opposite so far. I have modified the piston slightly though, in a way that should encourage earlier gas venting, so that may actually be working to counter negative effects.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The G36 is an AR-18 derivative. I do think the forthcoming HK 433 will reign supreme for future service rifle needs. It takes the best of the G36 and the 416 and blends them.

That said, I had a TommyBuilt TG36CP in RAL8000 and sold it. It was a lot of money for a short platform I really didn't need. I would like a TommyBuilt G36E conversion on an SL8 complete with remarking...if I come across another. Mainly for historical purposes to pair with my other full size guns.

I dig them all...iconic, if not successful as a service rifle.

The one I sold:

Posts: 3078 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not very familiar with the 433; what features of the G36 does it borrow? The AR18ish carrier and recoil spring?

Did you shoot your G36 much? What were your impressions?