SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Remington sight question - for an 870 slug barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington sight question - for an 870 slug barrel Login/Join 
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted
I bought this slug barrel last weekend and it is missing the rear sight. My question is:

Can I just buy a whole sight assembly or do I need a sight "ramp" and a separate sight? I've looked around online and have found a few things that look similar but unsure if they will work or not.

Thank you in advance.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Williams Gunsights has sights for that barrel, as a front / rear matched set. I would give them a call.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at my two factory 870 iron sighted slug barrels the base is silver brazed on to the barrel not screwed into the barrel and is more foward. They also has a more pronounced ramp with a dovetail. Not sure what you got there but I would be leery of screw holes near the chamber end on a thin shotgun barrel where pressure is the highest.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
I'm looking at my two factory 870 iron sighted slug barrels the base is silver brazed on to the barrel not screwed into the barrel and is more foward. They also has a more pronounced ramp with a dovetail. Not sure what you got there but I would be leery of screw holes near the chamber end on a thin shotgun barrel where pressure is the highest.

It doesn't look like the screw holes are into the barrel, just the piece that's brazed/superglued/whatever onto the barrel. That said, my 1100 has a slug barrel on it and IIRC it doesn't look anything like that, more like what you described. I'd have to look at it when I get home.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:

Jelly, what I believe you are describing is the front sight. I'm looking at the rear sight.

YooperSigs and RichardC,

Thank you. I will look into those options.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
This is the remington 870 factory rear iron sight

121621 008 (2) (480x640) by c J, on Flickr

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Jelly

Thank you. That picture is exactly what I was hoping someone would have. Now I know what to look for.

Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
The part that rides the brazed-on ramp is the Rear Sight Slide. Many aftermarket sights will attach to-- but don't come with--- that slide. Slight PITA to find at the moment, but the same slide fits the 700, so if you're having trouble finding the specific 870 part, try that angle.

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
The part that rides the brazed-on ramp is the Rear Sight Slide. Many aftermarket sights will attach to-- but don't come with--- that slide. Slight PITA to find at the moment, but the same slide fits the 700, so if you're having trouble finding the specific 870 part, try that angle.

correct, it is actually two parts. the rear sight slide and the rear sight aperture. and in fact, the two screws are sold separately, as well. Rear sight slide, rear sight aperture, rear sight elevation screw, and rear sight windage screw.

I replaced all of this on my 11-87 last year and got the parts from midwest gun works, but they are all sold out now.

https://www.midwestgunworks.co...ton+rear+sight+11-87

And I put these TruGlos on my 11-87. https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...le_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10488 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:

Thank you. With Jelly's help I was able to figure out what the needed items were and found them on eBay. I finally pulled the trigger on one complete assembly (rear sight slide, rear sight and all screws) for just over $50. Much more than that and it wouldn't be worth it to me as I only paid $100 for the barrel. I didn't want to spend more on a sight then I did for the barrel Eek

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Is there a front sight on that barrel?

Because what your picture shows sure look like the base for the cantilever scope mount to me.

ETA: Guess so.

https://www.midwestgunworks.co...ge/mgwi/prod/F200081

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Is there a front sight on that barrel?

Because what your picture shows sure look like the base for the cantilever scope mount to me.

Hi cas,

There is no front sight and I was perplexed about that. Your post about the cantilever scope mount makes so much more sense.