SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The equipped AR versus a 7.62x51 alternative: weight versus capability
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The equipped AR versus a 7.62x51 alternative: weight versus capability Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Gents,

Tony Ben does a stellar job of summing up the pros and cons of the M-14. I have a number of his rifles and they do shoot. The rifle that I really love is my 18.5" barreled "Shortie". Fairly light weight it is extremely handy and is what a M-14 rifle should be, IMHO. It rocks...

Pic of "Shortie":

Tony and I seem to agree on the M-14 platform!

Wes

Posts: 2459 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Fancy.

But I'll call your attention to this:

That's an aimpoint you can see irons through. I've been up and down fancy M14s, and find me when someone needs more than a city block.

A properly built M14, is a thing of beauty. Height over bore is, unfortunate.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arc and all,

We built "Shortie" for my short stature and to handle well. Hence, the USGI stock has been carbon fiber reinforced for stability and is shortened for my length of pull. It fits well and is light for a M-14. Barrel is 18.5" long with a Gem Tech muzzle brake that will take a suppressor. The LRB Arms M-25 receiver has an integral rail and mounts scopes or red dots on the centerline of the rifle. I added the Bradley cheek rest to bring the eye relief for my eyes. It's a custom built for me and does a wonderful job. The stock is painted in a "cat puke camo" pattern and I like it. Sling is canvas/usgi style.

Here's a pic for review:

Comments and recommendations are recommended.

Arc, I have a box stock Springfield "Tanker" M1A that I like very much. It's getting a shortened usgi fiberglass stock, too!

Wes

Posts: 2459 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post