SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SBR questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SBR questions Login/Join 
Saluki
posted
Given a good deal on a pistol AR, can I get a tax stamp to make it a rifle? Secondly is there a sweet spot in barrel length. Thinking 300 BO vs 5.56

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5145 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
eform 1 should be a month or less now to turn your pistol into an SBR then you can add a stock.

I have no issues with my 6", 7.5", 9" 300blk sbrs.

I only have 10.5" and 14.5" 5.56 sbrs. I primarily shoot the 300blks because they suppress better.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes - as mentioned, filing a Form 1 to ‘make’ a SBR is relatively quick through eForms. Once the stamp shows up in your email, engrave the receiver with the maker’s information (name, city, and state), add a stock, and add the upper in the barrel length and caliber listed on the Form 1.

If you’re looking to shoot suppressed, 300BO is the way to go. If you want to clear the firing line at your local indoor range, grab a 5.5” or 7.5” 5.56mm upper!

Posts: 666 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Creeping_Death:
Yes - as mentioned, filing a Form 1 to ‘make’ a SBR is relatively quick through eForms. Once the stamp shows up in your email, engrave the receiver with the maker’s information (name, city, and state), add a stock, and add the upper in the barrel length and caliber listed on the Form 1.

If you’re looking to shoot suppressed, 300BO is the way to go. If you want to clear the firing line at your local indoor range, grab a 5.5” or 7.5” 5.56mm upper!

My 5.56 w/ a 10.5" barrel has a Griffin Taper Mount brake on it. With out the can on it if I shoot it indoor. People come down and ask WTF are you shooting over here?!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8846 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:

The lower is already engraved as a pistol, if I add a stock do I become the maker?

Posts: 5145 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
My 5.56 w/ a 10.5" barrel has a Griffin Taper Mount brake on it. With out the can on it if I shoot it indoor. People come down and ask WTF are you shooting over here?!

Very nice - I have the same mount on a 7.5” Adams Tac Evo, it definitely gets looks!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
The lower is already engraved as a pistol, if I add a stock do I become the maker?

When you submit the Form 1, you (or your Trust) act as the manufacturer. You have to have that added to the existing engravings.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

When you submit the Form 1, you (or your Trust) act as the manufacturer. You have to have that added to the existing engravings.

Actually, you are the maker on a SBR. If you have an existing lower made by a company like Colt, LWRC, etc, they are the manufacturer. You still have to engrave your information because you’re making a SBR.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dwill104,

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
If you are going with .300 and plan to suppress make sure you check barrel length required for your suppressor.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...is there a sweet spot in barrel length. Thinking 300 BO vs 5.56

There is no absolute sweet spot in barrel length for either. There are tradeoffs in muzzle velocity, down range velocity, kinetic energy, bullet drift & drop, muzzle blast, firearm weight, maneuverability in tight spaces, go/no-go recommendations from suppressor manufacturers. The best solution for one user may not be the best for others.

Of course, 300blk loads deal with shorter barrels better than 223 Remy loads. The 30-cal bullet gets up to speed faster than the 223-cal bullet. On the flip side, 300blk loads have less significant muzzle velocity gains with increasingly longer barrels, as compared to 223.

I focus on down-range capabilities, and thus uber-short barrels don't make sense to me. My shortest 223 barrels are 14.5", which work fine, but have their limitations. Some buddies have 12" 223 barrels, and they work pretty well for them -- in certain situations, where longer-range performance isn't the priority. At 12" and less, the flight ballistics of 223 ammo really suffers compared to 16-20" barrels.

I have a 10.5" 300blk upper. It shoots pretty well -- but it's somewhat picky with supersonic ammo and its flight ballistics aren't great as target distances increase. Noticeably inferior drop & drift figures to 223 ammo. I find the flight properties of subsonic 300blk quite poor, even at distances as close as 50 yards. Limited lateral wind drift for the heavy bullets, but the vertical dispersion is not good.

Any short barrel AR15 with a supersonic load will be loud. Suppressors reduce the noise levels by 30-ish dB, just as they do with longer barrel AR15s. My 14.5" 223 barrel suppressed uppers are noticeably louder than my longer barreled 223 rifles, with the same load. My 10.5" 300blk upper is louder with supersonic ammo than any of my 223 AR15s -- from 14.5" to 24" barrels.

Subsonic 300blk rounds with a good suppressor are relatively quiet. Some people consider than hearing safe, but I do not. At least for high-volume shooting.

I spent many years competing in sporting clays and rifle competitions. I've never seen the appeal of having a overly loud gun, just for the sake of having a loud gun. I've used shotguns with compensators and centerfire rifles with brakes. Even with muffs over foam plugs, I now experience some level of tinnitus. Shooting very loud firearms for the purpose of making other shooters uncomfortable with the noise levels is just immature. If a braked SBR is your only or best option (depending on use or regional laws), then I get it. But there's a difference between "sorry guys, I'll go to the end of the line" versus "hey guys, have an earful of this".

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the insight. Ruled out the .300 I want no part of me or family feeding them to a 5.56, I reload and cheap me would be tempted.

It came down to a Springfield Saint Edge pistol. The 10” barrel and collapsing stock were deciding factors. I’ll be changing the compensator to one of the blast deflecting types in an effort to civilize the thing till a can is in the budget.

posted Hide Post
quote:
collapsing stock

Descriptions matters as you navigate the mess of SBR's and ultimately what will be the demise of pistol braces in August. It certainly has a brace not a stock.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post