SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Vietnam War M16s left behind
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vietnam War M16s left behind Login/Join 
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
When North Vietnam stepped up their assault on the South after the US picked up our ball and went home despite being points ahead, the RVN begged for the support that the US had pledged to give if that happened. No aid was forthcoming. The reasons for the loss of those weapons to the Communists was every bit as bad as what happened in Afghanistan, if not worse—at least in principle, if not degree.

I recommend the book Black April: The Fall of South Vietnam, 1973-75 by George J. Veith.

Quite sad, as is the history with our politicians and "the agency". Once you outlive your usefulness. You are thrown to the wolves.

Posts: 2194 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Especially during WWII lots of non gun companies produced massive amounts of armament in some case more than the traditional arms makers themselves

For example Remington Rand made more 1911A1’s than almost all other contractors including colt combined, and got an award for top notch quality control.
With M1 carbines, the company that designed the gun, Winchester made far fewer than a number of the other contractors. Just referring to carbines, some companies that were non gun companies that made them
National postal meter
Rock-ola ( typically made juke boxes)
Saginaw steering gear
Inland division of General Motors
IBM ( adding machines at the time)
( not an all inclusive list)
1903-A3 smith corona typewriter

M16A1’s were predominantly colt, but also GM- Hydramatic and H&R as well.
Back during WWI New England Westinghouse made M1891’s for Russia
My clawson “big book” lists all sorts of contractors who were initially contracted to produce 1911’s in WWI and A1’s in WWII but didn’t get production going for whatever reason

Posts: 3397 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post