SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rediscovering a rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rediscovering a rifle Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
A few years back I bought a Winchester 70 Classic Sporter LT .270 new unfired in the box off of Gunbroker. One of the last of the New Haven produced rifles. I kind of looked at it more as an end of an era than a rifle I was going to hunt with; blued steel and walnut, New Haven production the classic 70 trigger before they went to the MOA, and the classic chambering in .270. About the same time Leupold did their anniversary edition of the Vari X II in gloss black with the collector's tin and coin. Jack O'Conner would approve.

Accuracy never was great; 3-4" groups even with handholds. Was thinking about selling it and moving on to something else. Thought maybe I'd try having the action glass bedded as one last attempt since it had the mid 2000's "Hot glue" method of stock bedding Winchester used. Forgot about it moved to Alaska, forgot about it again, finally took it in to have Wild West Guns bed the action. Got it back, forgot about, then couldn't find ammunition, forgot about it again.

Then Wal-Mart had .270 ammo on the shelf and I was actually able to find a clerk with the key to the ammo case (I realize at this point many will call bullshit on my story). Went out with a friend today who's a member at Brichwood Shooting Sports Park and tried it out. Last group of the day, slightly less than 1", 2-1/2" high at 100 meters. That makes me happy.

So rediscovered a rifle today that I'd forgotten about many times. Now I'm thinking I need to take it on a caribou hunt...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
nice, a classic caliber and now a great shooter. Bet the more you shoot it the better it gets. Maybe bring it down an inch or so on elevation Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
3 round or 5 round groups?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
3 round or 5 round groups?

3 round.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post