SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Cerakote or anodize receiver ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cerakote or anodize receiver ? Login/Join 
Picture of DEC505
posted
I am getting ready to build a couple of AR-9's.I will be starting with 80% lowers and my daughter wants her's to be pink !!

My questions are 1) which finish would be better and 2) should I mill first or have finished first ?

Thanks, Derrell

Hell has no fury like a liberal
confronted with reality

Posts: 814 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Mill first.

Anodizing would be my choice if I were doing it. You can get a pink dye that’s almost hot pink.

Cerakote could be applied too thick, which can create problems.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
mill it out before anodizing. If a mistake is made in milling, then you just toss the whole thing and have not wasted your time/money anodizing.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
By the way, your daughter is doing her own milling, right Wink Wink

(Disclaimer, I'm not legal expert, but the BATFE made some statement that you gotta complete your own 80% lower. Someone like RogueJSK might have a better answer on that)

And I apologize for the drift. This is not what you had asked Wink

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Please post topics in the appropriate area.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a complicated question, despite the simple nature of it. First anodizing is way better as a finish. But are you going to anodize it yourself? If so then I would mill and then anodize. If you are not going to do it yourself then you will have much greater difficulty (or at least I did) in getting someone to anodize firearms in a small quantities and unserialized ones were just plain not possible in my area. Same for ceracote, the firearm finishers in my area would not touch a finished 80% receiver.
If you haven't milled them they are just hunks of metal and you should be able to find someone to process them. But overall I think the best strategy is to just do it yourself with these.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
FWIW.. a small "boutique" manufacturer once told me he anodizes before he taps the grips screw. At the moment I don't remember the reason 100%, maybe something to do with maintaining the "sharpness" of the threads.

(I learned this because my very expensive lower came without the grip screw hole tapped. lol They admitted that they screwed up. I did it myself rather than send it back)

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Anodizing is the hardier finish in terms of protection.

However, it is very difficult to match anodizing between batches.

It sounds like you only have an 80% lower right now. It's likely that if you send the pieces one at a time, you will wind up with an FN-SCAR-FDE-like hodgepodge of different colors. If your daughter is picky, that might defeat the purpose of coloring in the first place.

If you plan to build an entire rifle from this lower, do you want only the lower to be pink?

If you don't have all the parts now (or they are of such a construction that they cannot be anodized, like plastic hand guards), I would go with cerakote.

For your application, I would recommend cerakote because of uniformity. Also, she may not beat it up to the point where anodizing has any real benefit over cerakote. IIRC, cerakote even has a "magpul pink" that matches the color of Magpul's pink furniture.

When I go for color matching, I will have the lower, the upper, the buffer tube, and free-float handguard all cerakoted at the same time to avoid color differences.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Just Cerakote it.

Unless you have access to anodizing equipment. It's going to be expensive probably to send off one piece for service.

Cerakote and be done.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post