SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mystery solved!? Update in OP. New Tikka T3x…but what is it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mystery solved!? Update in OP. New Tikka T3x…but what is it? Login/Join 
posted
I love my Tikka rifles, and have ever since I bought my first, a T1x in 22lr. Soon after I picked up a tan Roughtech in 270 which shoots awesome as does the 243 in Roughtech Ember I bought early this summer. They are very high quality, look and shoot great with a very smooth bolt and glass rod adjustable trigger.

I have always wanted a bolt action in 223REM and noticed my local Cabelas has a Superlite with a TrueTimber VSX stock, in stainless with a standard bolt and bolt knob and a barrel that isn’t threaded for $100 off online and in stock at my local store. I got there just after opening this morning and asked if there was a Tikka in 223. Imagine my surprise when he handed me a rifle with the expected stock but with a fluted bolt with the larger bolt knob and a Tungsten Cerakote threaded barrel with a muzzle brake included for the advertised sale price! The configuration matches the D 18 configuration which is priced at $400 more! However the SKU and model number match up to the Superlite rifle. After mulling it over for a few minutes I pulled out the card, whatever I was buyingWink.

I realize this is a first world ‘problem’ and doesn’t make much of a difference. I am very happy with the rifle as I would have chosen the upgraded features over the stainless steel. Biggest difference over and above the different features is the 6-8oz weight difference. Can’t wait to mount up the scope and take it to the range.

**UPDATE 11/2**

Finally received a response from Beretta CS:

Dear Jim,
Sorry for the delay and thanks for your continued patronage. Your rifle is a special order model for Cabelas and is not a regular catalogued item. Our official description is "T3x Superlite VSX 223 Rem."
The features you noted are what sets this rifle apart from the regular Superlite series. Hope that helps.
Best wishes,
Beretta USA

So....it's a Superlite, but it isn't Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sprg03-A3,

Posts: 2560 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Interested to see pics, love my T3x, but it's just a Lite Stainless in 270.
Didn't see the models with the fluted bbl/bolt until a while later & might've looked for one of those

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Interested to see pics, love my T3x, but it's just a Lite Stainless in 270.
Didn't see the models with the fluted bbl/bolt until a while later & might've looked for one of those

All three of my centerfire Tikkas have the fluted barrel and bolt. Looks pretty cool anyhow Cool.

I will try to post a picture or two in a day or so.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mostly aesthetic in my case, I'm not hauling it around anywhere.
It goes from the safe to the truck, truck to the camp, camp to the deer stand; then reverse.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Made the trip back to Cabelas to see if I could figure out what I actually bought! There were 3 Tikka rifles there with the TrueTimber VSX stock, only one of which had my bolt, fluted with the large bolt knob. Two of them featured the tungsten Cerakote finish, both with the threaded barrel. There was a 22-250 with the same barrel but with a standard bolt which was labeled as a Superlight and priced at $1049 (no longer on sale), a 7MM REM mag with a stainless unthreaded barrel and a standard bolt (didn’t ask to see it so I don’t know what the price was and how it was labeled, but online it is listed as a Superlight at $1049) and a 30.06 with all the same features as my 223REM priced at $1349! The two I checked out seemed to have the same barrel profile as all of my Tikka T3xs including the new 223REM.

Evidently Tikka hasn’t followed a strict configuration when building some of these exclusive-to-Bass Pro and Cabelas rifles. Although I realize this is all academic as I bought the rifle I bought and am very happy with it I like to think I kinda got away with something and paid $950 for a $1350 rifle! I sent the information from the box to Beretta CS. We’ll see if they get back to me.

posted Hide Post
It’s been a week since I contacted Beretta CS and haven’t heard back from them. Kind of disappointing but not surprising. Does seem that whomever is running the Bass Pro/Cabelas web site is pretty clueless as well since my rifle is now listed as a Lite D-18 Bolt Action Rifle with VSX stock, which I had figured it was from the beginning.

All that is academic if the damn thing doesn’t shoot. Well, it does! Finally got a chance to shoot it today and am very happy with it. Trigger, which measured in as 3lb 2oz out of the box is exceptional, no issues as far as dependability and it was very accurate, especially considering the limitations of the set-up, and the shooter! Bolt is smooth as can be and ergos are spot-on. I shot three different examples of ammo, all heavy-for-caliber (rifle has 1-8 twist, faster than the traditional 1-12) and all shot pretty much to the same point of impact. At the suggestion of the salesman I bought and mounted a Burris Droptine 4.5-14x42 scope with adjustable objective and was fairly happy with it for the price, although I think I should have bought a Vortex Crossfire II with adjustable objective for a few bucks more. It will work for now, maybe destined to be replaced at some point in the future.

Interesting point about trigger pull on my Tikka rifles. As mentioned above the trigger on the 223 measured at a very crisp 3lb 2oz. Decided to measure the pull on my other two Tikkas, a 243 and 270. Interestingly enough as the caliber increased, so did the out of the box trigger weight, with the 243 weighing in at 3lb 6oz and the 270 measuring in at 3lb 9oz. Might just be a co-incidence, but I wonder if this is done at the factory based on what the assumed intended use of the rifle would be.

posted Hide Post
Nice. 223 bolt actions are a joy to shoot.

quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
I shot three different examples of ammo, all heavy-for-caliber (rifle has 1-8 twist, faster than the traditional 1-12) and all shot pretty much to the same point of impact.

Twist rates between 1:8 and 1:7 are the current norm, with a few 1:9 barrels here & there. A 1:12 twist on a factory barrel likely went the way of the dodo in the 1990's.

Assuming you're shooting factory ammo at no more than 100 yards, POI of 223 ammo with bullets of 50-77 grains should be similar.

Posts: 7984 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Nice. 223 bolt actions are a joy to shoot.

quote:
I shot three different examples of ammo, all heavy-for-caliber (rifle has 1-8 twist, faster than the traditional 1-12) and all shot pretty much to the same point of impact.

Twist rates between 1:8 and 1:7 are the current norm, with a few 1:9 barrels here & there. A 1:12 twist on a factory barrel likely went the way of the dodo in the 1990's.

Assuming you're shooting factory ammo at no more than 100 yards, POI of 223 ammo with bullets of 50-77 grains should be similar.

Tikka currently offers several models of 223 with a 1-12 twist.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I know they made a exclusive Superlite for Sportsman's Warehouse (IIRC), when I first read this post I was thinking it was one of those, and you saw it in the used rack. Re-reading I realized that wasn't the case. So this must just be PBS/Cab. "special" variation.

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. For best stability & accuracy, 1:12 likely limits bullet weight to 55 grains. 60 grains is iffy. 69 grains and up is pretty much out of the question.

My 1:7, 1:7.7, and 1:8 barrels have all shot accurately with quality ammo using bullets as light as 40 grains. But I don't regularly shoot light bullets -- their low BCs result in poor wind drift performance at long distance.

Posts: 7984 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting. For best stability & accuracy, 1:12 likely limits bullet weight to 55 grains. 60 grains is iffy. 69 grains and up is pretty much out of the question.

My 1:7, 1:7.7, and 1:8 barrels have all shot accurately with quality ammo using bullets as light as 40 grains. But I don't regularly shoot light bullets -- their low BCs result in poor wind drift performance at long distance.

I didn't realize that there was such a trend towards faster twist barrels until I was researching my Roughtech Ember 243, which has a faster (1-8 IIRC) barrel. I do recall reading about stability issues with early M16s a long time ago.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Now you've got me thinking about a 223 Tikka to complement my 270
Definitely easier on the wallet & shoulder at the range.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
When I wanted a 223 Tikka T3 several years ago I had a difficult time finding one with anything other than a 1:12" twist barrel. Now, however, EuroOptic that seems to have the largest selection of Tikkas lists only one with 1:12, a left-handed model that’s offered at $400 off the regular price. The Tikka home site currently lists four models chambered for 223 Remington, but all with 1:8 barrels, which is what I was able to find.

According to ballistician Bryan Litz, the disadvantage of a twist rate that’s faster than necessary for the bullet(s) being fired is that it exacerbates any imperfections in the bullets. He says that’s why benchrest shooters who want maximum precision at relatively short ranges tend to shoot short bullets that can be stabilized with slow twist rates. For the rest of us, though, there is little to no advantage of a cartridge like the 223 with a 1:12" barrel and any ammunition, and it would be a distinct disadvantage for anyone wanting to shoot at longer ranges with heavier bullets.

Added: A quick search indicates that even the “varmint” versions of Remington 700 rifles in 223 Remington also have 1:8" barrels. Interestingly (to me, anyway) the 700 chambered in 22-250 has a 1:14" barrel. I can only assume that it’s probably assumed that that cartridge would be used only with light bullets suitable for varmints.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47646 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
When I wanted a 223 Tikka T3 several years ago I had a difficult time finding one with anything other than a 1:12" twist barrel. Now, however, EuroOptic that seems to have the largest selection of Tikkas lists only one with 1:12, a left-handed model that’s offered at $400 off the regular price. The Tikka home site currently lists four models chambered for 223 Remington, but all with 1:8 barrels, which is what I was able to find.

According to ballistician Bryan Litz, the disadvantage of a twist rate that’s faster than necessary for the bullet(s) being fired is that it exacerbates any imperfections in the bullets. He says that’s why benchrest shooters who want maximum precision at relatively short ranges tend to shoot short bullets that can be stabilized with slow twist rates. For the rest of us, though, there is little to no advantage of a cartridge like the 223 with a 1:12" barrel and any ammunition, and it would be a distinct disadvantage for anyone wanting to shoot at longer ranges with heavier bullets.

Added: A quick search indicates that even the “varmint” versions of Remington 700 rifles in 223 Remington also have 1:8" barrels. Interestingly (to me, anyway) the 700 chambered in 22-250 has a 1:14" barrel. I can only assume that it’s probably assumed that that cartridge would be used only with light bullets suitable for varmints.

That is interesting. The 22.250 that originally caught my eye also has a 1–14 twist IIRC.

posted Hide Post
quote:
That is interesting. The 22.250 that originally caught my eye also has a 1–14 twist IIRC.

The 22-250's case & chamber design is such that it doesn't play well with longer and heavier bullets. Factory ammo is commonly loaded with 40-55 grain bullets. The 22-250's muzzle velocity is much higher than a 223, which increases bullet spin rates -- which also lends itself to a slower twist.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The 22-250's case & chamber design is such that it doesn't play well with longer and heavier bullets. Factory ammo is commonly loaded with 40-55 grain bullets. The 22-250's muzzle velocity is much higher than a 223, which increases bullet spin rates -- which also lends itself to a slower twist.

A Tikka in 22.250 at the local BPS is what initially caught my eye. I thought it would be cool to have a rifle chambered in a round that arrived before the trigger broke Wink! I didn't pay real close attention to the exact configuration though, but think it was a SuperLite. Then I saw that the nearby Cabelas had one in 223, and I have plenty ammo in that round that I stockpiled for my AR. When I was at the gun counter and asked to see the Tikka in 223 and was given the Lite version in 223 it wasn't a tough decision. As it turns out there was a 22.250 SuperLite on the rack at Cabelas also.

While researching the 22.250, of which I knew very little, and that info was very old I noticed and was kind of surprised about the slow twist rate which is a limiting factor, unlike the 223.

posted Hide Post
quote:
The configuration matches the D 18 configuration which is priced at $400 more! However the SKU and model number match up to the Superlite rifle.

Cabelas is not real careful about such stuff, I have seen a number of mismarked guns in their stores. Unfortunately the SIG I spotted was tagged and priced as a higher end model than it really was.

Posts: 3318 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
22-250 is a fun round, but man it's pricey.

Have a bit of rang etime behind a couple M77 target bull bbl models. Like shooting a 22lr with a huge boom.

My uncle switched to 22-250 from 7mm RemMag for deer after he had neck surgery. Put the Nikon equivalent of the Hubble telescope on it & took a few fairly long range deer with it.

posted Hide Post
Update in original post.

posted Hide Post
I wanted a bolt gun in .308 and was going to wait for holiday specials at Cabela’s and buy the Benelli Lupo which I really liked. However I noticed that there was a really good hunting special on the Tikka T3x D18, with $200 off, $50 rewards and a $75 manufacturers rebate, plus 12 months 0%! Was really a no-brainer to buy the Tikka, which I really liked, for such a good deal. I just didn’t think that the Benelli was worth the extra $500 at best over the Tikka.

As I posted above I felt the T3x in .223 I got such a good deal on was really a D18, and not a Superlite. Comparing the features, barrel profile and all the information on the labels on the box verified that I was correct that the ‘Superlite” is, in fact, a D18, and that I got a hell of a deal on both.

Can’t wait to shoot the new .308!