SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Is a red dot on a Marlin .357 lever action blasphemy? (Update 3 Nov)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is a red dot on a Marlin .357 lever action blasphemy? (Update 3 Nov) Login/Join 
posted
I don’t know, but I’m going to give it a try tomorrow. My eyes are not what they used to be Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: usncorpsman,

Posts: 1096 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
While I don’t currently own one, I find the addition of a modern sight like that to a more traditional-styled gun like a lever-action intriguing. I’m a big fan of some of the things done to the Marlin Guide Guns and the like.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it lets you make the hits, then no.

I had to go to them due to my eyes, but don’t have a Marlin lever to put one on…..yet

Posts: 269 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's sorta blasphemous. But depending upon your eyesight and your application, it might be practical. I had a scope on my guide gun, but hated what it did to the weight and balance of an otherwise supurbly handy rifle, so I ultimately replaced it with peep sights, which I'm almost as accurate with. A red dot is kind of the middle ground there...lighter than a full-size scope, but can deliver reasonable precision and is faster to acquire.

IMO you can't let nostalgia get in the way of practicality too much...you've gotta do what works for you.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My eyes dictate what works and I'll put a red dot on just about anything. I have one on my lever action .22lr and its perfect. The secret is of course getting a mounting system that puts the dot in a good place for using it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You want blasphemy!! I will give you blasphemy……….I kinda sorta want to build a tricked out tacticool, blacked out tacticsl light having, dot or LPVO, MLOK rail having afront to all that is good and natural, middle finger to Oliver Winchester lever gun. So that itty bitty red dot……..notsobad. Smile

I’m not proud of these thoughts. I want to make that clear. Smile

I’ll see myself out.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Somebody, quick! Find out what he's been drinking! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it is blasphemy however to put a chinese made red dot on it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skinner, Williams or Lyman receiver sights. Any of these will bring out much improved accuracy for your Marlin.
Go forth and sin no more!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of throwing a Burris Fastfire on my Henry side gate .44 Mag lever action rifle.

I picked up the Henry this year and let me tell you what.....trying to look at the front sight while shooting at the target from 100 yards is tough! Old eyes!!!!

I put a FF3 on my Ruger Super Blackhawk for the same reason....the darn front sight gets blurrier every year!

Now, I might try and throw a fiber optic front sight on the Henry to see how that works. The fiber optic will show up brighter than the bead sight, so I might be able to avoid the red dot.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
It is but you could use a QD mount for showing off your Marlin to visitors at your weekend BBQ. Wink

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
it is blasphemy however to put a chinese made red dot on it.

I’m blessed with being fortunate to be able to purchase pretty much any optic I want. I have RMR’s that I purchased when nothing better was on the market but hate the dark tent and tiny window. The Leupold Deltapoint is a little too big for the slim gun, and the Burris FF sits up high enough that I get a chin weld instead of a cheek weld. The Holosun is clear, sits in the perfect spot, and has the reticle I like.

Very little is 100% made in the USA these days. Ever wonder why it is so hard to get a new car, it’s because the foreign made chips are not being imported. Aimpoint is not USA made but we don’t hesitate to recommend it. Whether the money is going to China, Switzerland or Japan, it is still leaving this great country. US companies have bright American men and women who can make the same feature rich optics, but the cost will be 2-3 times the cost or resting on their laurels like Trijicon who refuses to update their RMR’s with better reticles or clearer glass while still charging crazy prices for what is essentially outdated technology.

Let’s not forget that big greedy American companies take their business overseas to places like China and India to keep from paying Americans the wages they deserve. One result is most will purchase what is inexpensive and still gets the job done for them while being reasonably tough and feature rich. More often than not, it is the Holosun and not the Trijicon.

Posts: 1096 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Mmmmmm, esthetics, economics, politics and ethics all in one Marlin thread. Smile

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Tasteful and utilitarian.

I want one of those “tactical lever guns” with the mlok, red dot, suppressor, etc. just seems fun.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is, IMO, but it's your rifle to do with as you wish.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Yes, it is, IMO, but it's your rifle to do with as you wish.

+1

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I've got a Henry Long Ranger lever rifle with a huge ass 4-24x scope on it that's damn near bigger than the rifle.

If you feel your red dot is blasphemous, rest easy knowing there's one out there that's a lot worse.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usncorpsman:
I don’t know, but I’m going to give it a try tomorrow. My eyes are not what they used to be Big Grin

<<snip>>

Two schools of thought...

1. As others have already mentioned, if it lets you make the shot, then go for it

2. My personal opinion, ANY type of optic on a Marlin lever gun is blasphemy! My model 336 in .30/30 came with a scope on it, and I immediately removed it. I simply enjoy shooting iron sights, and I can hit what I need to a typical white tail hunting distances.

Just my opinion of course! Big Grin

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Ironic, given that one of Marlin's main selling points (0ver Winchester) was the ability to mount a riflescope over the action.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Aesthetics are wonderful, but with my eyesight I think I can look forward to a lot less blasphemy over the coming years if I put a red dot on a lever action than if I just rely on the irons.

FWIW, I felt kind of silly putting an Aimpoint Micro H2 on a relatively cheap AK, but I enjoy shooting the combination enough, and shoot it enough, that doing so seems to have been exactly the right choice. Something small like that is relatively unobtrusive and may line up for you in such a way that your head placement is exactly the same as it would be for iron sights.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post