SIGforum
Nice try, Kalashnikov Concern

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/8150042584

October 10, 2021, 11:53 PM
Il Cattivo
Nice try, Kalashnikov Concern
IMHO, the AKV521 basically solves one problem: it's hinged like an AR15 so that there's one continuous non-shifting rail from above the handguard to the back of the receiver. That's good for a longer sight radius and for optics (which now sure seem to simply be the state of the art), but that's about it.
October 11, 2021, 05:20 AM
KSGM
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
To me the AKV-521 just looks like a slightly updated AK ... I don't see any similarity other than they are both rifles that shoot the 223/5.56
Also, I don't see enough difference between an AKM with MagPul furniture to rush out and buy an AKV-521

The conversation was more about how the guns function, their "features", and the fact that the AK, in it's native country, is behind it's own evolution curve. How the guns look isn't the point. IMO, the 552 looks way better too.
October 11, 2021, 05:25 AM
KSGM
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
IMHO, the AKV521 basically solves one problem: it's hinged like an AR15 so that there's one continuous non-shifting rail from above the handguard to the back of the receiver. That's good for a longer sight radius and for optics (which now sure seem to simply be the state of the art), but that's about it.

That is certainly the primary advantage of the revised design. It appears to have an externally adjustable gas system as well, which is a meaningful update. When compared to the current efforts by IWI, who has historically been on the cutting edge of the AK evolution, the AKV seems to surpass it. The Galil Ace seems to have a rigid-enough rail system, but lacks adjustable gas, for no good reason.