SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thoughts on Federal 50 grain .223 JHP for HD?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on Federal 50 grain .223 JHP for HD? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I've been doing some serious cleaning and found nearly a full case of this that I had forgotten I had. I've got better stuff (62 grain bonded JHP). But, any reason why it wouldn't be a good backup to my heavier load for home/self-defense?

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with it, not better but use whatever you can in a "situation".

Posts: 22923 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Here’s the self-defense sequence that became apparent to me long ago:
1. Locking one’s doors and obvious situational awareness will deter many thinking of a home invasion.
2. The possibility that the residents have guns will deter some of those left from number 1.
3. If not deterred by 2, actually seeing a gun will deter most of the rest.
4. If not deterred by 3, a gunshot fired in any direction will deter almost all of the remainder.
5. Being hit by a gunshot of any sort on any part of one’s body will deter almost all of those not deterred by 4.
6. For the tiny, tiny fraction of attackers who continue their assaults after number 5, then it’s important that the gunshot be fast, accurate, and that the projectile’s terminal ballistics be adequate to shut down the attacker’s physical ability to continue his assault.

Only number 6 is important for your question, but if things get to number 6, then I’d want something that I had confidence would be more effective for the purpose than a 50 grain 0.224 hollow point bullet. Although I’m not familiar with that particular load, I suspect it was intended for fast expansion and shallow penetration on varmint animals. It might not, therefore, be capable of the penetration necessary for stage 6 of my sequence. There are plenty of much better loads, so if I were concerned about home defense, I’d pick up a box of one to use rather than relying on something even as a backup just because I had it lying around.

To me the question is like asking if we should use an expensive gun for self-defense because we might lose it after an incident. I cannot imagine anything more significant in life than defending myself and family against a deadly attack. I doubt that will ever occur, but if it does, I will want all the reasonably possible advantages I can get.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't be my first choice.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Only number 6 is important for your question, but if things get to number 6, then I’d want something that I had confidence would be more effective for the purpose than a 50 grain 0.224 hollow point bullet. Although I’m not familiar with that particular load, I suspect it was intended for fast expansion and shallow penetration on varmint animals. It might not, therefore, be capable of the penetration necessary for stage 6 of my sequence. There are plenty of much better loads, so if I were concerned about home defense, I’d pick up a box of one to use rather than relying on something even as a backup just because I had it lying around.

To me the question is like asking if we should use an expensive gun for self-defense because we might lose it after an incident. I cannot imagine anything more significant in life than defending myself and family against a deadly attack. I doubt that will ever occur, but if it does, I will want all the reasonably possible advantages I can get.

Absolutely. And it’s a cousin to “which round is best to miss with”

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's a varmint load, intended for small critters. I'm thinking this load would run great risk of giving you inadequate penetration. The bullets would fragment at shallow depth in the human torso.

Just a WAG on my part.

As with all things Federal, though, it's certainly quality ammunition.

Posts: 107640 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Thanks!!!

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Can't speak to the terminal ballistics. It is a varmint load. However, I can mention its accuracy. It is twice as accurate as Federal's 55-grain FMJ. In fact it shoots so well out of our Minis that all of our Accu-strut testing was done with this cartridge.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16368 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Thank you for this report too. I'll keep it on the off chance I go varmint hunting and in my I'm out of the good stuff and need something for HD as everything else is gone. I've got nearly 400 rounds but for the life of me I can't remember when or where I bought it or what I was thinking when I bought it.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
It's not the same as the JHP, but I have shot a lot of coyotes with the Hornady 50gr vmax.

It is absolutely nasty. IF it exits on a coyote, the exit wound is the size of a baseball. The mess inside could best be described as mush and paste. It would certainly lack the penetration that you can get from a more solidly constructed bullet, and that may indeed be a problem. The fact that it doesn't always exit on a coyote standing broadside means that it doesn't always penetrate more than 8 inches, roughly the width of a coyotes chest excluding the fur.

It would be very low on my list of bullets to be shot with because of the carnage inside. But a coyote is a fairly small, fairly fragile creature. Humans have thicker ribs, some of them are wrapped in fat, and some of them wear leather coats. I wouldn't feel under gunned with a 30 round mag full of varmint bullet 223 ammo, but there are better choices.

That being said, I would favor it over any handgun round.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Can't speak to the terminal ballistics. It is a varmint load. However, I can mention its accuracy. It is twice as accurate as Federal's 55-grain FMJ. In fact it shoots so well out of our Minis that all of our Accu-strut testing was done with this cartridge.

Whenever I load varmint ammo for 223 with the 50gr vmax, I get significantly better accuracy than I get with Hornady 55gr FMJBT loads. I even prefer it for 3 gun unless distances start to get long enough for the lighter bullet to be significantly affected by wind.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
50gr vmax

I use that as well. Another great round.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16368 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post