SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    If a guy wanted a 7.62x54R semi-auto SVD-type thing...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If a guy wanted a 7.62x54R semi-auto SVD-type thing... Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
...just for shits and grins, what would his best bet be these days?

Understanding that one won't get his hands on a Dragunov or a Type 79 or probably even a PSL and that all these guns are really not the same thing, where should one look if one wanted to shoot some 7.62x54R out of a semi-auto? A Zastava M91? Is there even anywhere you can get a new rifle of this sort, or is it all going to be on the used market?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
What features exactly do you want this gun to have? It is something that could be filled with an HK91, SCAR 17s, or something like that? And what is its purpose going to be?

Tell us more.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
What features exactly do you want this gun to have? It is something that could be filled with an HK91, SCAR 17s, or something like that? And what is its purpose going to be?

Tell us more.

H&K-Guy

I don't want to presume, but I assume that the "Features" he wants this gun to have are:

1) It's cheaper than a TIGR
2) It shoots 7.62x54
3) It looks (or with maybe high-end AR money can be made to look) like a Dragunov SVD
4) It is not going to pointed at and mocked by the Tier 1 folks as a "total waste of money"

And if he doesn't mean that, I apologize.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I've got most of those other bases covered by now, so looking for "something else".

As I said, it's for shits and grins.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Keep an eye on Chodechoker - the occasional VEPR pops up. They'd need some pimpification to look like an SVD, but the Yugo M91s are running about $3,000 anyway.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jerod
posted Hide Post
I understand as a SVD looks sexy as it comes for looks. How it performs , be aware its a 2 MoA gun at best even with match ammo ,for most instances. Romanian RML type are even less accurate. Stocks on both are very short on LOP. If you are going for a com bloc look or to start a collection , go for it! They are cool but many other options available for performance.

Sig 551
W. German P228
W. German P226
Spec. Conf.P220
Navy MK 25
Non rail P229

Posts: 168 | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post