SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Benelli M4 shotgun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benelli M4 shotgun Login/Join 
posted
Yearly bonus came and after watching Colion Noirs(sp?) video on the Benelli, I'm intrigued.
LGS has had one under the glass for a few years now with no one buying it.
Colion did a great review but who else has one? Worth the chunk of change? Shooting impressions?
TIA.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have one and it is a great shotgun. Heavy, light recoiling, and eats everything I’ve thrown at it. It is expensive and it gets even more expensive to un-neuter it while keeping it 922r compliant. I chose the M4 over other shotguns like the Beretta 1301 tactical and would do it again if I had to do it all over again.

I’ll add that I have many other shotguns both tactical and hunting including 5 variants of the A400 which the 1301s gas system is based upon. They also eat everything from light target to heavy loads without a hiccup. My 11/87 Remington Police prefers the heavy stuff. I would feel equally comfortable grabbing the M4 or my Scattergun Tech 870 pump. That’s how confident I am in the M4s reliability.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
While the M4 is a fantastic shotgun it is a heavy beast and I sold mine for a Beretta 1301 Tactical. The newest generation is apparently 922r complaint so you can get an extended tube without worrying about swapping out other parts like you would have to do on the M4. Plus you will save $500 or more.

The 1301 is lighter and is equally dependable, give it a look.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the LE version of the M4, so it came with the fully functioning collapsible stock and full capacity mag tube in the box, so no extra parts to buy for 922r. But, I still prefer my Beretta 1301 tactical over the M4.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
I’ve had two. Sold both.

Pros: Looks cool

Cons: Expensive. Heavy. Won’t feed light loads reliably (people claim it does but neither of mine nor a friends would). Collapsing stock may look good but is uncomfortable (and insanely expensive). Non collapsing factory stock way too long for normal arms. Shells difficult to load.

Posts: 4448 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
I’ve had two. Sold both.

Cons: Expensive. Heavy. Won’t feed light loads reliably (people claim it does but neither of mine nor a friends would). Collapsing stock may look good but is uncomfortable (and insanely expensive). Non collapsing factory stock way too long for normal arms. Shells difficult to load.

This is where I'm at with mine. It's the LE SBS version but, it only reliably runs with full power buck or slugs. It won't do more than 2-3 of the reduce power buckshot duty rounds without a malfunction. I'm not convinced I want to sell it because I "want" to like it still. I've had it about 12 years and it still looks basically new.

I've got a friend who just got the Langdon Beretta 1301 and I believe that'll be my next scattergun.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve had two. Sold both.

I stopped in and took a look at it. I did not like the factory stock as you pointed out David.
It was smooth and I liked the ghost ring set up for the sights. I passed on it though.
What I did end up buying was a Mossberg 590 Tactical. Fiber optic front sight, rails and it fit me better than the Benelli. Also bought a Crimson Trace light and 5 boxes of Fiocchi defense buckshot. Walked out paying ALOT less than the Benelli and I'm happy.
I shot one box to see how it felt and how the pattern was. Didn't skip a beat.
So the AR is back in the safe and the Mossberg is the new home defense weapon now.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
my experience has been different with my 11707 M4 than some have spoken of here. after proper break in, its fed everything ive put thru it w/o fail. the adjustable stock for me is very comfortable (im 6'2 242 lbs).

I have heard smaller stature people have a lil issue with the pinned stock.

nothing wrong with Mossberg if that's what you want, you'll def save some $$ but in my thoughts, you missed out on the best combat shotgun on the planet.

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve had two. Sold both.

I have the camo version with hard stock that's too long.
Does anybody know a good smith to cut down stock?

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:
after proper break in, its fed everything ive put thru it w/o fail.
Proper break in? You had malfunctions?

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
A Mesa Tactical stock fixed the long LOP of the stock M4 and counts as one of the 922r compliant parts. The first 50 shells through my M4 were light target birdshot loads. Since then it has shot reduced recoil buck and slugs as well as heavy buck and slugs. It has eaten everything I have thrown at it. The Mossberg is a good shotgun and should serve you well as a HD gun.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:
after proper break in, its fed everything ive put thru it w/o fail.
Proper break in? You had malfunctions?

no, but before I put anything else thru it, I fed it a steady dose of high brass 00 buck and slugs. that was based on a buddies experience that had one prior to me getting mine

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Nothing against the M4. I’m more on the side of a hunting shotgun than strictly home defense. I have two of the lighter weight M2 guns, a 12 & 20. I have a few short barrel pump guns too.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The 590 is decent enough.

I’d still grab a 1301 or M2. They really are the bees knees. M4 is too unwieldy…

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Nothing against the M4. I’m more on the side of a hunting shotgun than strictly home defense. I have two of the lighter weight M2 guns, a 12 & 20. I have a few short barrel pump guns too.

I have a dozen other shotguns as well. my M4 isn't my 'home defense' weapon, my USSS 870 SBR is but I use my M4 for a lot of coyote killing.

when SHTF, the M4 will be my go too shotgun application

posted Hide Post
I've got one and it's a good gun. It is heavy, as others have said. And expensive, as others have said. The factory stock options are all lacking - the "normal" stock is long, the collapsible is not very ergonomic, and the straight stock is very uncommon. I have a Mesa Urbino on mine and it helps. Mine is 100% reliable with low base birdshot up to full-house buck and slugs.

I grabbed mine when you could find them used for $1200 or so and new for less than $1500. You can get them new now for about $1800, down from $2500+.

The Beretta 1301 is worth a look at more like $1200-$1300. It's lighter, shoots faster, and has a decent accessory aftermarket.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have the factory collapsible stock?
Is it worth the cost?

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
Does anyone have the factory collapsible stock?
Is it worth the cost?

guy over on the Benellli forum is selling one for $700...he had it as of earlier today I think...

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
M4 is a great looking gun but I don't think I could ever give up my M2.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
M4 is a great looking gun but I don't think I could ever give up my M2.

I felt the same way bout my M1S90...so I bought an M4 in 2007 and still have my M1 as well.