SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Are Holographic Sights Worth the Extra over a Holosun?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Holographic Sights Worth the Extra over a Holosun? Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted
I've almost got my AR pistol picked out and I'm looking at a Holosun 512 because I like the large field of view and the circle dot reticle. I've already dismissed prism scopes because of the amount of scope shadow, but the Eotechs and the Vortex UH1 are a little more money with similar features, but with worse battery life.

I'm not doing any long range shooting past 100 yards nor am I interested in using a magnifier. Should I spend the extra on those or will the Holosun be good enough? I'm also seeing deals on the Trijicon MRO HD that puts this in range.

Posts: 4164 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I think the Holosun 512 is a great choice for an SBR/PCC! I prefer the green reticle option.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suggest you go somewhere where you can actually look through one before you buy. I have astigmatism and the Holosun is the only red dot that I can see. The Eotech is a starburst to my eyes and unusable.

Everyone's eyes are different and trying many sights allowed me to buy one that worked for me.

Posts: 232 | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

All depends on what you like. I like the EoTech and just bought another to replace a 1x prism on another AR.
I've tried a few and looked through a few others and the EoTech works for me.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I’m far from being an expert but I have two Eotechs, one red and the other green. I like them both. I also have a 5x magnifier.

Then I got a Hellion and my Eotechs were too high to use the Hellion’s backup sights. I bought a Trijicin MRO with a low mount and it cowitnesses perfectly. The circle dot is a bit sharper than the Eotechs.

I am considering a Holosun for a CZ Scorpion. I could also see getting another MRO HD instead.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would definitely go Trijicon if I could over the chicom stuff.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several Holosun red dots mounted on pistols. I have had exactly zero problems with any of them. They have features like multiple reticles etc that no other comparable sights have. I find them to be excellent sights in use.

They do have one SERIOUS drawback. That is that they are made in China. For many that is a justifiable deal-killer, period end of story. I understand completely.

If you can get past where they are made I know of nothing else that performs as well for the same price point........................dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other than the battery-life in hundreds of hours vs tens of thousands, and the country of origin, it's important to understand and experience the difference in technology before making a decision. The Eotech is a laser projected through a prism and refracted back to your eye. It effectively "projects" the reticle at infinite distance and appears, to your eye, to be the same focal plane as the target. If this works for you and helps make target transitions faster, then there is no Holosun that can be a substitute.

One thing I'll add is, if you go with Eotech, save yourself the future trouble and get one of the EXPS or XPS models with the transverse battery.

Posts: 36 | Registered: August 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I recently swapped out my Holosun (green) on this HK clone (PTR) with a EoTech EXPS2 (green) optic. No problems with the Holosun (its on another PPC now), but the EoTech is a fine option.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross:
Other than the battery-life in hundreds of hours vs tens of thousands, and the country of origin, it's important to understand and experience the difference in technology before making a decision. The Eotech is a laser projected through a prism.

I’ve owned more than a dozen Eotechs including the improved transverse battery models. I had a number of battery life issues with the Eotechs. You need to always have an extra battery or set of batteries available.

Over the last two years I haven’t had a single Holosun battery run out. YMMV?

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Opinions vary. I’ve been shooting the same EOTech EXPS for a few years. To say I haven’t been gentle on it is an understatement. I have to scratch my head about battery life complaints. I use mine a bunch and it often gets left on greater than 8 hours at a time. I change batteries every six months or so because I have to rely on it for work. Only once has the dot blinked telling me that the battery was low. It occurred during a train up so I continued shooting it the rest of the afternoon and changed out the battery at the end of the session.

And I’ve always been a big Aimpoint guy. I used personal Aimpoints the first time we issued Eotechs. The 512s weren’t half the optic in my opinion that the XPS is.

I took a 40 hour rifle course last week and shot movers at 50 and 100, and shot out to 350 yards with. Performed all week as advertised and was on about 10 hours a day.

What I really like is the addition of the EoTech magnifier. I was the only one in class to clean the tight accuracy standard on the 100 yard movers and one of two to go 10 for 10 at 350. The other dude was running a 1x6 Vortex.

I’m completely satisfied with all aspects of the EoTech and find it to be worth the money. I’m in a position to influence purchases, and we will replace our 15 year old Aimpoints with EXPS and magnifiers.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I can definitely say that the Holosun HE530C-GR will not be fitting my needs. I bought one from EuroOptic and it was a dud. It didn't work with the battery supplied, a Duracell battery I put in it, or the solar panel "failsafe" that should have given me something. EuroOptic is also taken care of me and I already got an RMA to ship it back.

I'd still like a green reticle, and I do want the "training wheels" 65 MOA ring to help me figure out holdovers since I'm a noob. If Aimpoint offered either of those features, I'd be sold in a heartbeat. I'm probably looking at the "smaller" 25mm Trijicon MRO HD if I can find one locally so I can see that it works. I'm a little annoyed at Holosun at the moment.

I did have a chance to fondle an EoTech locally, and the dot is much fuzzier than most red dots, but this is also going on my new home defense/fun AR pistol so working is far more important than clarity.

While I would prefer green, does anyone have any experience with the Sig Romeo 8H?

Posts: 4164 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post