SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    300BLK or 9mm for Suppressor Host *Edit with new question*
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300BLK or 9mm for Suppressor Host *Edit with new question* Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Have a friend of a friend that's selling a 10.5" 300BLK pistol & I'd mentioned that that would likely be my next build.
Initially, the price was well above what I was looking for, but sans accessories, right in the ballpark of what I was expecting.

Long-term, likely a gateway to my first suppressor.
I want to say I'd read that 10.5" was near ideal for 300BLK+Suppresor use.

As it sits, it's a Spikes forged lower with a PSA upper & a SB Tactical brace.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it's worth the investment for you. In my heady days of youth, upon WA becoming a state where having and shooting a suppressor was not crime, I bought the new hotness at the time, an AAC 762 SDN-6. It worked with anything up to .308 and was pretty cool. It was designed for the .300 BLK. I waited a long time before actually getting anything in that caliber (for lots of reasons not super relevant here), but now have a Ruger Ranch and a AR pistol in that caliber. I'm happy that I did that and have that pairing to talk advantage of that suppressor.

Now if I was doing this today, I'd probably get a totally different suppressor, one not using a proprietory muzzle device and one capable of suppressing anything up to .45 probably. And in that case I'm not sure .300 BLK would be a caliber in my stable. But for me in my life now, it was a good investment I think and I'm happy.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 300 pistol is by far my most used firearm. It’s an 8.5” upper with a SilencerCo Omega. Super fun to shoot! I’d like to try a 10.5”, although I have a 10.5 “ 5.56 that doesn’t get used much. Reloading is a necessity for 300, at least for me.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I want to say I'd read that 10.5" was near ideal for 300BLK+Suppresor use.

There is no such thing as ideal. There are various options which function well, produce acceptable MV & downrange energy, and provide reasonable trade-offs between weight & length.

Due to the properties of a rifle chambering with a minimal bottle-neck design, bullets develop useable MV better than maximum bottle-neck designs with shorter barrels. This is why a 300blk with a 10.5" barrel is a reasonable option for more shooters than a 223 with a 10.5" barrel.

I don't see how barrel length for a 300blk is related to suppressor or no suppressor use. A good suppressor will reduce noise levels by around 30 dB, regardless of barrel length, and regardless of sub-sonic vs. super-sonic ammo.

From an investment standpoint, it depends on your use. 300 blackout ammo will almost certainly cost more per round than 223, especially with factory ammo. 223 wins hands down over 300blk for accuracy and long distance targets. 300blk produces more kinetic energy at close-ish distances, especially with shorter barrels. 300blk produces slightly more recoil than 223.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.
This would likely become a near-permanent suppressor host if I go through with it.

I don't recall where I got the notion that 10.5 > * for bbl length with a suppressor & sub-sonic loads.

I've seen that PSA has a few in the 7"bbl range for a bit less, plus transfer & shipping [if not free].

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
V2 of this.
For not much more (probably $200 or so) I could get a Scorpion pistol, NIB.

Which would be the better long term suppressor host? 9mm obviously has its pros, for ammo being plentiful & cheaper, and I'd never have the possibility of using the wrong mag in the wrong gun 300BLK in a 5.56 or the opposite.

A bit of browsing last night shows around $1k for 300BLK (7.62) suppressors
Haven't looked into 9mm options.

Both are on my want list, eventually.

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Best rifle caliber to suppress = 300 BO. It was designed for suppression.
Mags can be color coded with Ghost bottom plates for clear caliber identification.
I don't want to confuse you with suppressor recomendations - if you want more info, e mail me.
First time suppressor ownership needs guidance.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Once I lock in a direction, I'll likely start a new thread for a suppressor newbie.

Right now, I'm leaning more toward the Scorpion

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
1st Gen Scorpion or new gen Scorpion?

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Probably got new, so Scorpion Evo3 S1 Pistol
Unless I found a good deal on an earlier Scorpion pistol.

Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
The Scorpion is a great choice, but if you are going down the suppressor road, don't discount getting a .22 suppressor also because they are a lot of fun and cheap to feed.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Baby steps.
My only 22s are a Marlin 60 & a Taurus tip-bbl

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
45 caliber pistol suppressor that does 300 BO and 9 mm.
Therefore--you need both 300 BO and Scorpion.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

How quiet is a 45 can on a 9mm host, compared to a dedicated 9mm can?

Alternatively, are there 9mm cans that can handle 300BLK?

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
A suppressor is essentially a muffler.
Larger volume--more suppression.
Put a 9mm endcap on a 45 can for better suppression.

Think metric to understand which caliber can be used.
11.43 mm = 45
10 mm = .39 (40 S&W)
9 mm = .35 (357)
7.62 mm = .30
5.56 mm = .22

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post

The can you seek--> Deadair Wolfman.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Best rifle caliber to suppress = 300 BO. It was designed for suppression.

Not really. 300 blackout was "designed" to shoot a .30 caliber round from an AR15 with minimal parts changes and no loss of capacity from existing magazines. 300blk is essentially the SAAMI version -- with minor cartridge tweaks -- of 300 Whisper, 300 Fireball, and/or .300-221. 300blk really didn't break any new ground on cartridge form or function, other than the SAAMI designation and backing by companies with enough money to really introduce a new cartridge.

I suspect all rifle calibers can be suppressed. I'm not aware of any that are specifically designed to shoot with or without a can. With a good suppressor the noise reduction is around 30 dB. With supersonic muzzle velocities the resulting crack will not be hearing safe for unprotected ears, even with a can. With subsonic muzzle velocities the resulting crack will generally be hearing safe for unprotected ears with a quality suppressor.

Prior to the development of 300blk, people knew the .30 cal wildcat cartridges could shoot a variety of bullet weights -- say from 110 to 220 grains. They knew that with full powered charges, bullets of 110-160 grains developed supersonic muzzle velocities. They also knew that with heavy (180-220 grain) bullets and reduced powder charges, subsonic muzzle velocities were possible.

A nice feature of 300blk is that it can be loaded to both supersonic and subsonic velocities, although with dramatically different rounds. Few rifle cartridges can accomplish this, especially if semi-auto cycling is desired.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
To clarify the 300 BO “design”.
Military request. Requirements were as Fritz stated- use existing AR15 platform to compete with the AK 47–30 cal, heavier bullet, subsonic .

300 ACC was the proprietary name of the cartridge. I have always associated AAC with suppression.

posted Hide Post
quote:
How quiet is a 45 can on a 9mm host, compared to a dedicated 9mm can?
>> on the Rugged Obsidian 45 I own the reported difference is 6db. Not particularly notable in real life. Probably less if you used a 9mm endcap.

Yup lots of them. I own two the rugged obsidian and the deadair wolfman. The wolfman takes a dedicated mount to do it and the rugged is subsonic only. but I bet there are others.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Probably got new, so Scorpion Evo3 S1 Pistol
Unless I found a good deal on an earlier Scorpion pistol.

The “new Gen” Scorpion is the 3+, which has a new grip and some ergo improvements.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com...-cz-scorpion-3-plus/

The 3S1 is the earlier/previous model.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post