SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Nikon Scopes - Prostaff v Monarch - Update: Ordered a Monarch - Update 2: It's here!
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Nikon Scopes - Prostaff v Monarch - Update: Ordered a Monarch - Update 2: It's here! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Pick up "some rings"? What the heck is that? You need to a get a proper mount for it, something like a LaRue for $300.

Or just some nice rings.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Report This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Finally, after about a month-and-a-half from when I first started looking to it being on my doorstep:

Got scope rings yesterday, didn't research enough & apparently the top rail of the Tikka receiver is narrower than the Weaver rings. So, I need to get a base now & may need to step down to medium height rings. The high rings, from a test fit have sufficient clearance for the scope, but may be too high with the little added height of a base.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15288 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure there's room for the flip up covers to work too. I have seen a lot of guy's gett he scope a sheet of paper distance off the barrel then, opp's, no room for cover to fit.
Let me know if you have any question's when you order the XR turret. Definitely get yuor round chronographed too.

Bart

Posts: 58 | Location: North Texas | Registered: December 25, 2010Report This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bart940:
Make sure there's room for the flip up covers to work too. I have seen a lot of guy's gett he scope a sheet of paper distance off the barrel then, opp's, no room for cover to fit.
Let me know if you have any question's when you order the XR turret. Definitely get yuor round chronographed too.

Thanks, I test fit it with the high rings & there was plenty of room. Just need to see how much height the base is going to add, to know if I'll need to switch to medium height rings.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Scope base has shipped & should be here by Saturday. Hope to have it all mounted up by Sunday night, hopefully I don't have to exchange the rings & delay it all again.

posted Hide Post
My gosh, this is taking longer than I would have expected.

Couple of thoughts for you; set the front cap sideways so that it can open to something like 4 o'clock. That way it's easier to open with your left thumb while holding the rifle and it doesn't stick out. I do the same with the ocular lens cover, having it open at 9 o'clock with a push from my right thumb in position. You can even past a little sheet with some come ups in the cover.

And keep that sunshade on at all time, protect the lens.

That's one heck of a scope there, looking forward to a field review soon.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
My gosh, this is taking longer than I would have expected.

Couple of thoughts for you; set the front cap sideways so that it can open to something like 4 o'clock. That way it's easier to open with your left thumb while holding the rifle and it doesn't stick out. I do the same with the ocular lens cover, having it open at 9 o'clock with a push from my right thumb in position. You can even past a little sheet with some come ups in the cover.

And keep that sunshade on at all time, protect the lens.

That's one heck of a scope there, looking forward to a field review soon.

Thanks, hadn't considered offset mounting the covers, will look into that once it's mounted & I get some time behind it.
Same with the shade, first time having one, will have to give it a try.

posted Hide Post
Yeah, sunshades are great.

If I had not had one in Lodi that day I posted about here a few months back, I would never had been able to finish that string. Same with my spotting scope; sunshade on!

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Finally got it all in & got it mounted.

Pre-install, rifle with no magazine

With base, rings & scope on

​​​​​​​

Planning on getting to the range this weekend to get it sighted in.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Frown
Weather & family requirements prevented a range trip this weekend.
Gives me time to look into getting a bipod or some form of front rest.

For those in the know, are the rings ok to be mounted as far out as they are, or should I look at moving them in a notch?

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the eye relief is on that scope or how long your neck is, but my first impression is that the scope is mounted pretty far back. Like, enough to leave you with a headache and a nasty gouge on your forehead. Check the clearance between the scope and your eyebrow with the rifle comfortably mounted, before you shoot it. You might need to move the rear ring forward some so that you can move the scope forward a bit.

Other than that, I don't think there's anything wrong with having the rings that far apart.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Report This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I don't know what the eye relief is on that scope or how long your neck is, but my first impression is that the scope is mounted pretty far back. Like, enough to leave you with a headache and a nasty gouge on your forehead. Check the clearance between the scope and your eyebrow with the rifle comfortably mounted, before you shoot it. You might need to move the rear ring forward some so that you can move the scope forward a bit.

Other than that, I don't think there's anything wrong with having the rings that far apart.

I've shouldered it a few times & didn't get the feeling that the scope was too close. But, will check it again, hate to get a nice eyebrow scar from it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Frown
Weather & family requirements prevented a range trip this weekend.
Gives me time to look into getting a bipod or some form of front rest.

For those in the know, are the rings ok to be mounted as far out as they are, or should I look at moving them in a notch?

If anything I would move the rear ring up a notch, away from the ocular and its magnification ring.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:

If anything I would move the rear ring up a notch, away from the ocular and its magnification ring.

Thank you. I was planning on double checking it all before going to the range.
Any suggestions on ensuring proper level alignment?

posted Hide Post
There are myriad ways of checking that your scope is level; I use the level-level-level thing from Wheeler engineering.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/wh...lignment-113088.html

Then after verifying it on the line, I mount my anti-cant device on the scope.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Again, thanks. That was the approach I was looking at.

They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Another trick is use a couple playing cards between the gap on the rings and adjust the reticle to be parallel with the cards.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Report This Post