SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    We use our rifles to hunt…how do you cook your harvest
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We use our rifles to hunt…how do you cook your harvest Login/Join 
posted
This is a ham off a wild hog my son shot in December. 3 hours on the smoker……. add chicken stock, cover with foil and then 5 hours in the oven at 225. Dinner pics in a few hours Big Grin.

Right off the smoker.

Almost ready for the oven. Need to add my chicken stock.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Looks delicious. Deer and elk mostly for me. Grind the majority in to burger. Some steaks that get used in a variety of ways. I love venison myself.

Pacific ocean bounty also. Crab, oysters, clams, Salmon, Halibut and rockfish. Love it. Enjoyed some King Salmon the other night. Ymmmmm. Caught it thirty miles off shore last summer. Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19156 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I used to help cull deer at the airport, I had the meat packing company turn it all into hamburger or sausage. If I knew my dad was coming for a visit I would pull the tenderloins for him.

Mrs. Mike and The Tomminator are real sketchy about food, and texture…hence the hamburger and sausage

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
Looks like it's going to be the delicious.

I think I remember that thread. Is it the time you guys used the lever action?

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1048 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BucFan:
Looks like it's going to be the delicious.

I think I remember that thread. Is it the time you guys used the lever action?

Yes sir. 357 Marlin lever gun with my hand loaded 158gr XTP’s.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Looks tasty. Most of my wild pigs have been so lean that I usually just marinade and grill the backstraps and tenderloins, and turn the rest into ground sausage.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Done

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I also mostly grind venison into hamburger and use it mostly for tacos and spaghetti and chili. I also keep backstraps and tenderloins whole and just throw those on the blackstone with butter salt and pepper. Cook rare to mid rare at most. Lastly, I get some run through the cuber for country fried steaks.

Whole backstraps

Cubed and country fried

I also dove, quail, and pheasant hunt every year. Made a quail with mushrooms and rice dish last week and a pheasant pot pie yesterday. For doves, skin on and pan fried is great but poppers are easier on the processing side. Popping the breast out of any game bird is super simple.

And some fried quail

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That bird looks great. I bet it is wonderful. One of the best things I recall eating was wild pheasant cooked in a pressure cooker Razz Delicious!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19156 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
That bird looks great. I bet it is wonderful. One of the best things I recall eating was wild pheasant cooked in a pressure cooker Razz Delicious!

Growing up we plucked every dove and kept them whole with legs on for the fryer. Somewhere along the way we got soft. I can skin a dove and pop the breast out in 1/10 the time it takes to properly pick one.

However, whenever I have a mess to clean, I usually bite the bullet and pick at least a few for the fryer. That would be my death row final meal.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Back when I was a regular hog hunter, we'd typically just cut out the four shoulders and loins, keeping the loins and most of the butts whole for smoking, and take the hams and the rest of the butts to a processor to be turned into jalapeno cheddar sausage.

This made them simple to process, not having to mess with the offal or any detailed processing of the carcass. The rest was left for the scavengers. But the goal was partly to cull hogs, not just harvest meat, so being wasteful wasn't an issue like with other forms of hunting.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
No hogs here, but lots of deer. We gring them into burger and save the loins and backstraps. Baked venison tenderloin medallions wrapped in bacon are exquisite.

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We used to quarter and backstrap the hogs here. I would stuff the quarters with as much garlic as I had on hand and soak in red wine for a couple of hours. Drain the wine, pat it dry, season the outside with a rub and through on the grill for a couple of hours to brown.

The transfer to a Dutch over, add broth and cook covered low and slow. After a few hours add in carrots and potatoes. Decent gravy - not as good as farm raised pork, but still good. Meat is usually good a tender.

We eat the smaller ones.

For deer we like to cut 50/50 with pork and make smoked sausage. We’ll pan fry the backstraps to medium rare.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oooooooooo...We love quail! Smile

Posts: 638 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post