SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    22 bolt action for Match use that won't break the bank.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 bolt action for Match use that won't break the bank. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
That looks to be quite a large optic, so it is hard to tell if it will work on a CZ. I would imagine that you will need tall rings. If that scope will work on any bolt action rifle, it would be a CZ I would think, the exception being a straight pull like my Browning T-Bolts.

BTW.... I own a CZ 457 American, with the sporter profile barrel, and have a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 scope mounted on it with Warne medium rings (IIRC, might be tall), and it fits fine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sprg03-A3,

Posts: 2552 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
My new scope showed up today and it works great at 25 feet, but not on the rifle. I go to mount the scope on the Ruger and the action won't work. The bolt is hitting the scope. I guess I could go with higher rings, but the scope has a pretty large eye piece so I may be back to square one.

I compared your scope/rifle to my 308 bolt action. The bolt lifts are in the same relative position to the magnification ring, and my bolt has a 90 degree lift. My rifle has taller rings, and thus the bolt handle doesn't touch the scope -- but doesn't clear it by much, either.

Taller rings will be necessary if you want to use this scope & rifle together. A challenge might be your cheek weld, which may be OK, or it may change to a less desirable "chin weld" with taller rings. However, there are many buttstock options to solve this problem. I use buttstock pads on rifles that don't have adjustable cheek rests.

quote:
I know these matches may be dumb, but the club is 15 min away and it is a good way to get out of the house.

I don't think your matches are dumb. Any competition which stretches your comfort zone and forces you to improve you shooting skills can be a decent match. I've been to some PRS matches that have hair-brain stages here and there, but looking back, overall they turned out OK.

Posts: 7885 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

quote:
I know these matches may be dumb, but the club is 15 min away and it is a good way to get out of the house.

I don't think your matches are dumb. Any competition which stretches your comfort zone and forces you to improve you shooting skills can be a decent match. I've been to some PRS matches that have hair-brain stages here and there, but looking back, overall they turned out OK.

Agree with fritz! Shooting unsupported you'll develop skills that transfer over to all other types of shooting, positions.... My local range there's about a 1000 members. Over the years seen just a few others shooting off hand, rimfire silhouette guys, black powder guys. Why is that? Because it's hard!

The "NRL/PRS" 22 matches I shoot have unsupported standing, kneeling, sitting, prone stages. It's very clear watching the other competitors who has put in the time practicing off hand! Two of the best local NRL/PRS 22 competitors, one came from years of rimfire silhouette the other many years of unsupported field air rifle. A good friend who was a High Master HighPower shooter spent the winters shooting indoor unsupported 22 matches.

Have fun!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post