SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Looking for an 16" mid-length pencil barrel, what do I want?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for an 16" mid-length pencil barrel, what do I want? Login/Join 
posted
MASSIVE EDIT BELOW.

Looking for a 16", mid length gas system pencil profile AR barrel in .223/5.56. Must accept a standard AR type front sight base/gas block.

Bear Creek Arsenal is out of the running.

The Delton KT1008 kit is exactly what I'd like to build stylistically, but is out of stock anywhere I can find it listed and is not skinny behind the boss for the gas block.

Faxon has an option in their 15A58M16NGQ, but isn't skinny behind the boss for the gas block.

Ballistic Advantage doesn't actually seem to have an option that will accept a standard front sight/gas block assy.

Anything else out there I'm missing?

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M1Garandy,

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I don't have anything made by Bear Creek but I did do a bit of research on them.
I think I would spend a bit more and get a better barrel.
Joe Bob has a Faxon barrel in the profile you want.
https://www.joeboboutfitters.c...15a58m16npq-apgb.htm

I got a Faxon barrel from them earlier this year, Gunner profile in .223 Wylde.
That was money well spent IMO.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
Looking for a 16", mid length gas system pencil profile AR barrel in .223/5.56.

In searching for such a thing for an extreme budget build, I ran across one that Bear Creek Arsenal makes. Looks like they are in stock in several placed for as little as $90 right now. It appears that Midway rebrands them as their "ARStoner" house brand, and I see several other outfits that appear to be rebranding and selling them as well.

Reviews online are mixed, anyone here have any personal experience?

I see Del-Ton, Faxon and Ballistic Advantage all make a similar barrel, but seem to be mainly OOS, and more money.

Thanks.

Even if Bear Creek’s barrels were good (and they are not) I would not buy them. Bear Creek has some ethical issues, like employing illegal aliens using the stolen identities of Americans.

ICE detains about 30 people during raid of NC manufacturing plant

As for good budget barrels, I would look at Faxon, Ballistic Advantage and Rasco. The barrels these companies sell under their own brands are very good and these three are also the OEM for several other well-known brands.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen issues with their Glock barrel either not fitting or other issues. For a barrel, even on a budget build, is not the place to save money on.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Not sure if you can live with the integral flash hider or not, but this fits the bill: https://www.joeboboutfitters.c...15a58m16npq-imdf.htm.

I was actually looking at this yesterday...thinking about changing some things up on one of my rifles. I've used Faxon barrels in the past on a couple of builds and have always been happy.

ETA: Just realized this is actually a 14.5" barrel...the integral muzzle device brings the OAL to 16".

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
MASSIVE EDIT BELOW.

Looking for a 16", mid length gas system pencil profile AR barrel in .223/5.56. Must accept a standard AR type front sight base/gas block.

The Delton KT1008 kit is exactly what I'd like to build stylistically, but is out of stock anywhere I can find it listed and is not skinny behind the boss for the gas block.

Faxon has an option in their 15A58M16NGQ, but isn't skinny behind the boss for the gas block.

Ballistic Advantage doesn't actually seem to have an option that will accept a standard front sight/gas block assy.

Thanks

Any barrel that is .750 at the gas port can accept a standard “A frame” type front sight /gas block. They have to be drilled which is difficult without the proper jig hence why most simply buy barrels with the A-frame already installed.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My 16" pencil middy is a BCM, no complaints.
Bought it bare & built it up as parts became available. Built mine in/around the time of Sandy Hook, so parts availability was scarce a the time.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:
quote:
MASSIVE EDIT BELOW.

Thanks

Any barrel that is .750 at the gas port can accept a standard “A frame” type front sight /gas block. They have to be drilled which is difficult without the proper jig hence why most simply buy barrels with the A-frame already installed.

I've got a local guy that can drill/pin on the FSB for $75, but that cost is factored into my shopping as well.

Several of the barrels I've seen have a .625" diameter, and standard sight bases are available for them as well, but some barrels have such a short pad, that only a low profile gas block will fit.

I have no issues buying a barrel with the FSB already pinned on, I'd probably prefer it, but have not turned one up yet.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That looks like a nice barrel. Especially from what you guys have said about the DD made barrels.

I will throw out Anderson. I do not know who makes their barrels. But I bought a light carbine that has a Anderson upper and it impress' me.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Criterion 16" Mid Length Pencil Chrome Lined with 0.625" gas journal.

I'm going to get one to make a light weight upper for a KE arms polymer lower.

https://criterionbarrels.com/p...rrel/?v=7516fd43adaa

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently out of stock, but they do show up.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...e-5-56-nato-1-7.html

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I usually build all SS Wylde barrels.
I did build one with a 14.5 Daniel Defense pencil barrel.
It was nice and light but substantially less accurate than all of my SS builds.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahhh...with the FSB already on.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...barrel-assembly.html

Here ya go...well almost, still out of stock. Big Grin

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Also currently out of stock, but I have one of these from Bravo Company USA. Can't find anything bad to say about it, except that it spawned MORE BCM purchases.

My working rifle is the same lightweight-barrel setup (traditional FSB) in 14.5" carbine-length, sadly no longer made by BCM.

Both have a noticeably different "handling feel" compared to my standard-weight uppers. The weight savings towards the muzzle makes a difference.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some interesting options so far, including several I'd probably not have found on my own.

As this build will be an infrequently used item, and when it is used will not need to be match grade accurate, I'd like to trend toward one of the less expensive options.

It'll be a budget build to be sure, but not junk.

posted Hide Post
Well, looks like I ended up with one of these, lightly used from a local guy: https://faxonfirearms.com/matc...el-teflon-extension/