SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig Builds A Thermal Sight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Builds A Thermal Sight Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
I never knew! It's less than the ATN thermal and is getting good reviews.

This could REALLY be handy rat blasting.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/echo1.html

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
It's been out for a couple years. I have one now for eval.

Just need to push out the review.

It's an excellent choice for hunters/predator management.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
It's been out for a couple years. I have one now for eval.

Just need to push out the review.

It's an excellent choice for hunters/predator management.

Nice! Looking forward to the review.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I was hunting ATN THOR thermals on the ebay and one of these popped up and I went over to the Sig website to check it out.

I can get a demo for a grand and the used THOR is $1500.

I need close in and this REALLY looks like it will fit the bill.

Please do give us a review with pix!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I just played around with this at the Sig Pro shop the other day.

Inn my quick assessment, for the dough, it's not bad. Resolution isn't the best I've seen, but this is far smaller than anything I've used as well. I think it's a fair trade off.

I can't vouch for real world application (I would be real interested in its heat tolerance) but it was neat in the store display.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3354 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
AO in Smyrna has one on display to play with in their Sig pro shop. I don’t go in there much but twice I’ve tried to play with it, I couldn’t get it to turn on. Either it’s complicated or they need to change the batteries. Mad

I played with Trijicons at NRA and it was freakin’sweet!

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
AO in Smyrna has one on display to play with in their Sig pro shop. I don’t go in there much but twice I’ve tried to play with it, I couldn’t get it to turn on. Either it’s complicated or they need to change the batteries. Mad

I played with Trijicons at NRA and it was freakin’sweet!

There is a software "quirk" (what I'm calling it) where you need to push the stick down for a few seconds, otherwise the Echo-1 will not fully power up.

At first I thought it was an intentional design inclusion because the way the ECHO-1 counts battery charge, it looks like the sight drains 50% of the battery within the first 5 minutes, but after discussion with Brad Brumfield, it's just a fortunate coincidence. Also: the battery doesn't drain as quickly as the indicator shows, but it can be unnerving to see it and think you're set of two CR123s is only going to last 10 minutes.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
How well would it work for less than 50 yards rodents?

Would I need a 20 moa rail to get the sight to line up with the POI because of the barrel offset?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Someone on ARF had one for sale in the $800 range that really got me thinking about one. A friend of mine has the Armasight (thought it was a Thor) and it’s really awesome but out of my range. I’d really like to rent one first.

Posts: 6014 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I see the accessory package ads $180 to the wholesale price. What's in it? Smile

(I was looking at them the other night, but I can't think of too many good things that could come out of me buying one. But several bad things. Big Grin )

ETA: "Romeo1 Adapter Plate, USB Cable, Protective Cover"

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Mars, I thought you were using an ATN x-sight for your rat blasting duties. I've been investigating one of them for my CZ 455 for nighttime varmint duties (rabbits, possible coyote - 17HMR). Is there a reason you're looking at thermal sights now instead?

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have several ATN X-sights, however, 5X is WAY too magnified for what I am doing, heck even 3X is a bit too much, the Thor starts at 1.5 and goes to 5, so that should be perfect.

I was looking into thermal for the convenience of no illuminator is needed and can see them in the shadows where they could hide from the ir.

I purchased the ATN Thor thermal yesterday because it had more features than the Sig sight and the viewfinder was better.

It was actually on sale and LESS than the Sig sight.

With all this competition in thermal and NV optics, a real price drop has come, so we are going to see a whole new hobby open up to us.

Sig needs to get that optic down to the $600 range and they will dominate the market for close in NV.

Weather is getting better here now, so I will get video and a review up soon. It's either been too rainy, cold, snowy or just couldn't get up to the chicken houses because of work lately.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
I looked through the Sig Thermal sights, and was underwhelmed.

This looks promising for a low cost handheld thermal- FLIR Breach PTQ136

...And for weapon mounted- FLIR Thermosight PTS233

Posts: 313 | Location: Georgia | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post