SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Mason-Howe Rifle Room    Reshaping a Bell and Carlson stock
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Reshaping a Bell and Carlson stock Login/Join 
Member
posted
I have a B&C Ultralight Sporter stock on my Browning A-bolt. I'd like to take down(grind off) the cheek riser to get my head in better alignment with the scope. The material is some proprietary mix of fiberglass, plastic, etc. In an email exchange with B&C, they confirmed that there is nothing structural under the cheek piece and I can grind it off flat. They suggested resurfacing the ground area with either auto body filler or epoxy before repainting. Of course, those two recommendations cover about 20 different products from Bondo and JB. Any particular product you've used for a job like this? I will prime and repaint the area with a textured camo, so glassy smooth is not a requirement. I'm more concerned with the adhesion between the stock, filler and paint.

Thanks,
Mike
 
Posts: 9348 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
If I was doing such a job, I feel there would be a fair likelihood it would look worse when completed. I think one could go slow with a powered sander, diminishing the cheek riser. I ‘assume’ it’s solid underneath?

I have some a few of the ‘sponge painting’ of rifles stocks, simple, turned out well.
 
Posts: 7567 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Well, here's the after action report. I took the cheek piece off with 80 grit sandpaper on an orbital sander. Cleaned the area and applied fast set Bondo. Sanded to contour and primed with Rustoleum auto primer. Next used Rustoleum black texture paint and gray accents through fake vegetation from Hobby Lobby. Final sealer with Rustoleum Matte Clear.

Certainly not professional results, but I'm pleased with the outcome. Scope alignment is now right where it should be.






 
Posts: 9348 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Wow! That looks great. Nice job!


Mike


You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.
 
Posts: 5121 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Looks great to me.
 
Posts: 7567 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Looks nice for now. Bondo looks great until it doesn’t. I’m really surprised B&C recommended using bondo over new fiberglass Matt and epoxy.

I hope you prove me wrong and it keeps looking nice for years!


Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
 
Posts: 4209 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Mason-Howe Rifle Room    Reshaping a Bell and Carlson stock

© SIGforum 2026