SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Suggest an AR for me. Update it just arrived.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggest an AR for me. Update it just arrived. Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Glad for those suggestions
I really need to get one of those sling sleeves. My safe isn't very big & the padded vcas definitely gets in the way

Also: Either the IWC site isn't mobile friendly or it's down. Items show in stock but I see no 'add to cart' option.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15347 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Regarding sling attachments and the way they affect how the rifle hangs, I recommend trying this method that I first discovered via a YouTube video some years ago. The attachment is on the side away from one’s body and that helps hold the stock against the body, especially when our hands are doing something else. It doesn’t have any adverse effect on mounting the rifle for shooting, and may actually be an advantage.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Another alternative is to place the sling down the side of the rifle, wrap the excess around the stock and attach it to the stock with a cheap ranger band or women’s hair tie.

As to the Saint line of rifles, my limited scope is about 50 rifles overall, to include one I have been shooting for the last 11 months. In 11 months I have shot 13k rounds. I’ve replaced two sets of gas rings and a buffer spring. Gun is still accurate and gives me zero problems.

About 30 or so are loaner guns at the academy. They are all mid length 16 inch FSB guns. They get shot a lot between inservice classes and recruit classes. No problems.

I’m not seeing any problems first hand and would highly recommend the 16 inch FSB version.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Regarding sling attachments and the way they affect how the rifle hangs, I recommend trying this method that I first discovered via a YouTube video some years ago. The attachment is on the side away from one’s body and that helps hold the stock against the body, especially when our hands are doing something else. It doesn’t have any adverse effect on mounting the rifle for shooting, and may actually be an advantage.

By trial and error, I found this is the way to go for me, also.

Q

Posts: 26426 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links to lights, sling, (nice) review, and lubrication, Para. And all the other great suggestions everyone!

I had been thinking about quick disconnects for the sling for the reason Josh mentioned which is to prevent snagging on another rifle in the safe. I have a CZ with a sling and I have to be very careful when I pull it out. Plus for just walking out to the porch or yard to shoot I won't necessarily need or want the sling on. The push button release sling mounts seem like a good option if they can easily attach to the rifle, at this point I may as well wait until it arrives and I can look at it closely. It'd be nice if the bottom one could be slightly relocated to avoid it contacting my shoulder when aiming/shooting. I'm not going to add optics at this point, possible later, or if I decide to add another rifle I'll put optics on one.

I ordered 2 extra 30 round magazines which combined gives 85 rounds (loading 28 per mag), along with 260 rounds which seems ample for now, but I'll gradually increase my supply. A problem I have now is safe space because I already have room for one less rifle (2 when this arrives) than I have space, so I'll keep an eye out for another small file safe.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7104 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
More mags, more mags...

Additionally, something which will change the feel of the rifle for the better, and costs little is the Magpul MOE+ grip, which is shown in the picture of my rifle on page 1.

The stock AR-15 grip will work just fine, yes, but unless you have small hands, you will benefit from a more hand-filling grip. The Magpul grip has a storage compartment where you can put a small bottle of lube or other things.

The MOE+ grip differs from the MOE grip in that the latter is hard plastic, whereas the former is rubber-covered plastic.

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I will agree that there are a large number of high quality AR models available, enough that it is hard to go wrong if you select a reputable brand.

However. I will go off the reservation a little to suggest that performing a build from basic parts will provide enough in the way of knowledge of operation and understanding of function to make up for the inherent lower "quality" of the build. This is not to say that a home-built AR has to be that way, but most builders approach this task with at least a small idea that they will be saving money over an off-the-shelf unit. If you end up buying high quality parts one at a time, it is difficult (to say the least) to keep costs minimal. OTOH, any way you go, you end up with a rifle that is unquestionably your very own, even if you don't do anything "custom" in your build. Maybe not the best way to go for your first AR, but something that is very rewarding in the end.

I don't know why some reputable manufacturer doesn't sell an AR in "kit" form. I see lower kits, but I haven't come across one for a complete rifle, or even a complete rifle without the lower receiver. Even simplifying your build to a lower+parts kit with a factory-built upper gives quite a bit of understanding to the device. This knowledge may be especially useful if there ever has to be any field repairs, the more you know, the less helpless you will be in the event of a malfunction.

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Magpul MOE+ looks like a nice $25 improvement, I like both do away with the bump or ridge for your second finger which seems unnecessary.

I've heard many suggest to build your own as you can put together one yourself just how you want, with better components, for the same or less money. Maybe if I decide on a second one I'll go that route, but for me at this point I'm just looking for a decent quality, ready to go rifle, so I feel buying one complete is best.

Posts: 7104 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Loaders:

AR15 / M4 LULA® loader & unloader GEN. II

Locks onto the mouth of the magazine to load single roads. Also allows you to unload magazines quickly. If you want to switch rounds to a new magazine for whatever reason, or simply remove the rounds, this tool is gentler on the brass and on your fingers.

This loader allows you to load mags while taking it easy on the feedlips. That's not so important for metal feedlips but it's beneficial for polymer feedlips IMO.

StripLULA

Allows you to load magazines from stripper clips and also from loose rounds.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, if this is your first, buy one. There may be some deals this week, some sort.

I have a mix of types, various ‘mid level’ as far as any ‘chart’ goes.

For casual shooting & the home defense application I like shorter & lighter. For me that’s a 16-18” barrel.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
The LULA loader looks like a nice addition and Bass Pro here supposedly stocks them. Added to the list.

quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Yes, if this is your first, buy one. There may be some deals this week, some sort.

I have a mix of types, various ‘mid level’ as far as any ‘chart’ goes.

For casual shooting & the home defense application I like shorter & lighter. For me that’s a 16-18” barrel.

Already bought from GB, just waiting. Probably paid too much but it was the lowest I saw on GB with free shipping, and no sales tax helps. Yes 16" barrel and pretty light.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Great, ensure it’s clean & lightly lubed then test it out, when you get it.

I hesitate to use the word ‘wet’, but I like some lube on my AR action.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
When I got my first AR I found some guys at my gun club that helped out with learning the basic operation of an AR.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4137 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Loaders:

AR15 / M4 LULA® loader & unloader GEN. II

Locks onto the mouth of the magazine to load single roads. Also allows you to unload magazines quickly. If you want to switch rounds to a new magazine for whatever reason, or simply remove the rounds, this tool is gentler on the brass and on your fingers.

This loader allows you to load mags while taking it easy on the feedlips. That's not so important for metal feedlips but it's beneficial for polymer feedlips IMO.

StripLULA

Allows you to load magazines from stripper clips and also from loose rounds.

Love the striplula. Works with stripper clips or without. Super fast reloads. Must have for anyone who owns an AR.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5911 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Great, ensure it’s clean & lightly lubed then test it out, when you get it.

I hesitate to use the word ‘wet’, but I like some lube on my AR action.

Will do. I'll disassemble and lightly oil the wear surfaces (I watched the video Para posted on lubing).

The dealer finally acknowledged they received the FFL that I forwarded and said "we are in the process of filling your order". I'm wondering if they have the rifle on hand or have to first order it from a distributer? Whatever.... it'll get here eventually.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Will do. I'll disassemble and lightly oil the wear surfaces (I watched the video Para posted on lubing).

I'll go one further and say I think it's worth it to grease the bearing surfaces of the carrier group.

Posts: 17170 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
OK thanks Smudge, I have TW25 light synthetic grease so I'll apply it there.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Also: Either the IWC site isn't mobile friendly or it's down. Items show in stock but I see no 'add to cart' option.

Oh. The founder/owner of IWC died early this year or late last year. For the longest time, there was a message on the site that they were halting business while they figure things out. I see now there's a message that they are selling only to dealers. That's good news and bad news. They're still up and running, which is good. Bad news is trying to track down who has what you want.

IWC is fantastic stuff as far as mounting solutions for all the things.

Posts: 17170 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para is this the same rifle you used to have a fixed Troy the Daniel Defense rear sights on? If so I was wondering why you went to a carry handle.

Posts: 1756 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, it's a vintage Colt 6721 upper finished in old Colt gray, mated to a Nodak lower in matching gray anodizing.