SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Unusual small arms being used in the war in Ukraine (video)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unusual small arms being used in the war in Ukraine (video) Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
@ 14 minute video (*profanity warning)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9vvhrnMg7QE

Edited: ugh. Fracken YouTube. The video was available when I posted it, but YT has now slapped an age restriction on it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Modern Day Savage,

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Interesting review, but "weird"?

One interesting thing to me is that if you see PR type shots of the AK12 they generally have EoTech 1X optics. The Russians have red dots of their own, some with what I think are better reticle options, but the cool dudes go for Made In The USA to whatever extent they can get them. If the average guy issued an AK12 doesn't have anything on his rifle then he can't afford to purchase that stuff privately or the Russian stuff just isn't very good in comparison to the stuff coming out of the West.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
That was actually pretty entertaining.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Interesting review, but "weird"?

Agreed. That's why I changed the descriptor in the thread title. Uncommon, unusual, yeah...but unless they start using potato guns and super soakers I don't think of these arms as "weird".

quote:
One interesting thing to me is that if you see PR type shots of the AK12 they generally have EoTech 1X optics. The Russians have red dots of their own, some with what I think are better reticle options, but the cool dudes go for Made In The USA to whatever extent they can get them. If the average guy issued an AK12 doesn't have anything on his rifle then he can't afford to purchase that stuff privately or the Russian stuff just isn't very good in comparison to the stuff coming out of the West.

I don't have any experience with Russian optics, other than seeing them generally sell for less, so thanks for that insight. If they can't afford even the Russian kit then maybe they need to start buying their gear from China. They could probably even buy some cheap Chinese counterfeits of optics.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ FWIW, I've seen a picture of at least one Ukrainian using a HoloSun.

If you happen to feel like going down a well-written and informative rabbit hole on Russian optics some time, try http://russianoptics.net

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post